What's new

Book 1 fastest WiFi type

Wayne Orwig

Short version:
I have made significant improvements to my backup drive. If I connect a 1 gig ethernet cable via a USB ethernet adapter, I am getting about 60MB/s speeds to the remote drive. All is well. If I use 5Ghz WiFi, I get about 15MB/s. Sometimes less, since the WiFi AP is a couple of rooms away.

So, I have the ethernet cable, but don't generally want to cable my Book. So I want to add a second WiFi AP in bridge mode, connect to that cable, and place it near where I use the Book.

It is not practical to move the first AP. Also, the first AP has VPN features and such, that I want to not want to bother. It is an 802.11n router.

Basically, what 5Ghz WiFi protocol should I look for in an AP, that the Book 1 will support, to give me better speed. 2.4GHz gives me better range, but is crowded here.

Last edited:

JaeMelo

Hey Wayne,

I can help you troubleshoot this however it may take longer going back and forth on the forums. Check your PM inbox.

OP
Wayne Orwig

Wayne Orwig

Just to follow up on this.

I got a cheap Asus RT-ACRH13 and put on the end of my ethernet cable in Access Point mode. Using the 5Ghz band, and 80MHz bandwidth, I get a connection to the Surface Book that shows 866/866Mbps. When I transfer large files to my backup drive, they transfer at just under 50MB/s. A PC on the remote ethernet gets closer to 60MB/s. So I'm now happy with the WiFi speed, since it appears I am close to the max throughput of the remote drive.