What's new

Chrome incredibly laggy

wynand32

So, for the past week or so, Chrome has been incredibly laggy on my SB. Typing in forms (like this one), clicking, scrolling, everything just has a delay that makes the experience intensely frustrating.

I'm posting here wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue, because the only machine that's doing it is my SB. The problem creeps up after a few minutes following a reboot, and I don't have a huge number of tabs or other apps running.

BTW, my SB is a Core i5/8GB/256GB version.

flar

I've been having a similar issue lately, but closing a few windows seems to solve it. I don't have to close them all and I can even then open those windows again and it doesn't trigger the problem again so it was a one-time thing with respect to the content on those pages.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Actually, after watching things for a bit, I'm noticing that the slowdown isn't necessarily caused by Chrome. Odd, because I don't remember my Surface Book 4 acting like this, and it's pretty much exactly the same system (same Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD).

I wouldn't have expected the Surface Book to run more slowly than my SP4.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had this a few weeks ago on my normal desktop. Scrolling was horrible, you'd scroll the wheel a bit, a few seconds later it would start juddering down the forum, and go past where you had wanted to scroll to, and repeat and repeat. It somehow cleared itself up on it's own after a handful of days though, so no idea what was wrong.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

It would be more of an issue with Windows than the SB.

Speaking for myself, that might very well be the case. Except, as I mentioned, it's not happening on my desktop or my SP4. Maybe I'll have to give the SB a factory restore and see if that fixes something up.

Orlbuckeye

That's because your SB doesn't have the same drivers as your desktop or you SP4. It could also be your profile is corrupt on that PC. If you do a factory restore it will create a new profile.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

That's because your SB doesn't have the same drivers as your desktop or you SP4. It could also be your profile is corrupt on that PC.

Yes, of course. I'm mainly comparing performance to my Surface Pro 4, which is close to identical to the Surface Book. I've never experienced this kind of lagginess on the SP4.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

I probably should have been more clear in my original post. The lagginess I'm experienced isn't JUST in Chrome. It's throughout the system, it just seems to occur most often when Chrome is running. When it happens, it's difficult to even navigate the screen with the toughpad because the cursor jumps around so much.

I'm thinking I might just need to to a restore.

Orlbuckeye

If you look in task manager you will see a process opened chrome.exe with every tab you have open. Chrome has become a resource hog.