What's new

CPU seemingly stuck at 2.49 GHz since Jan. updates

Dim-Ize

It is not enabled by default

It is not enabled by default. You can enable it in Programs and Features- under Turn windows features on or off

Thanks. But, what I meant to as is: does enabling this give improvements for battery performance if set properly?

jrapdx

Thanks. But, what I meant to as is: does enabling this give improvements for battery performance if set properly?

Hyper-V has been enabled on my SP2 since a few days after acquiring it (~2 wks ago). It has the (apparent) effect of "locking" the CPU speed to 2.49 GHz, and according to Task Manager it never varies. The Hyper-V service runs quietly in the background, and by itself doesn't noticeably reduce battery life.

When actually running an OS in a VM, battery life is decreased to about half of what it is otherwise. But I'm not complaining, since routinely the battery holds up for >=9 hours if I'm not "pushing" the SP2 CPU or GPU capabilities too hard. Of course, "mileage varies" depending on workload and probably a hundred other variables.

Including Hyper-V is one thing MS did right with the SP2. Coupled with the inspired decision to provide 8 GB ram capacity, the "computer inside the computer" idea turns the SP2 into a powerhouse for its size. However, running SP2/Hyper-V full-bore is not the optimum use case for battery operation. For maximum benefit, I'd recommend using Hyper-V with the computer plugged in, and Power Plan set to "High performance".