What's new

Deterrent to buy the SP3?

drolem

Maybe it was 3.11 - I just don't have a good enough memory backup going back that long. And what if I off by 0.01? ;)

BTW, I do have a copy of LANTastic -- I think it's 6.0, but here, I may be off by a few versions. Haven't seen the floppies in a decade or so, but I should have them somewhere.

leeshor

3.11 was the first version of Windows that natively did networking. That was a huge jump from 3.1

GoodBytes

Please buy what you need, not what is hip and cool, or would look cool.
Remember that the Surface Pro will never be thinner than a USB port with a casing around it. If it is thinner you'll start carrying adapters with you, and you won't like it.

If you are happy with the battery life of the SP3, and performance, than great.
The Intel model has no digitizer, is bigger (so larger battery), skewed results on benchmarks and battery life, probably no speakers or ultra crappy, and probably is one of those ultra low voltage CPUs, which are much slower in every way to the ultrabook and mobile chips, and this is when you'll seek for greater performance, and again, no USB ports, and I see no headphone connector. So nothing to be really exited about.
Thinnest doesn't mean better.

Last edited:
OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

If I were to look at the ThinkPad line I would go with ThinkPad Yoga or X1 Carbon Touch personally....

I'm afraid that the best days of ThinkPads are now in the past. They lost me when they changed the keyboards. My last favourite 12" TP was the X201 and the X220. In the 14" class, the T420 was my favourite.

The Carbon looks good, but it is no longer the ThinkPads with the NMB keyboard. In fact, when I had originally got my X201 it has the Chicony keyboards. I wrote to the MD of Lenovo in the country in which I was living at the time and requested that the keyboard could be replaced with the NMB keyboard. 2 weeks later it was replaced...free of cost. Just goes to show how engaged I was (and remain) with ThinkPads!

Anyways, back on topic....I think I will end up with the SP3 anyways!

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Please buy what you need, not what is hip and cool, or would look cool.
Remember that the Surface Pro will never be thinner than a USB port with a casing around it. If it is thinner you'll start carrying adapters with you, and you won't like it.

If you are happy with the battery life of the SP3, and performance, than great.
The Intel model has no digitizer, is bigger (so larger battery), skewed results on benchmarks and battery life, probably no speakers or ultra crappy, and probably is one of those ultra low voltage CPUs, which are much slower in every way to the ultrabook and mobile chips, and this is when you'll seek for greater performance, and again, no USB ports, and I see no headphone connector. So nothing to be really exited about.
Thinnest doesn't mean better.

No way to know this till I get my hands on it, is there? And no way to do that especially if I order online (which I won't) is there?

Nuspieds

When it comes to a technologically-based device such as a computer, when you buy one, it will always be obsolete, even if it is the latest model available. That's just the nature of technology: Even as you buy the latest model, the R&D team was already well on their way with the build of the next model.

My philosophy has always been to buy the top-of-the-line/most advanced of the brand and model that I like and need; thus my objective is to get something as long-lasting as possible.

So when it comes to the SP3, either you're ready to jump in an adopt it or you're not. In my case, I am not. I am waiting for a CPU/GPU change; therefore, I am happy to stick with my SP2.

On the other hand, others in my situation may not be as comfortable, so they will jump ship the SP3--which is fine. The bottom line is to each his/her own and especially when it comes to technology, you'll always be playing catchup.

godson594

As much as I like the idea of the Surface Pro - I regret buying the SP2... Besides the nightmare of bugs and hardware issues I have had, the thing I really hate is the type cover. It just doesn't work for me, it may be okay if you use the SP at a desk but really that's it. It is worthless on my lap, its worthless when I lean back on the couch...

If I wasn't so hung up on wanting a digitizer there are much better choices... I really am debating selling it on CL at this point and going back to a regular ol laptop :( I just hate to lose soo much money on it because resell value is crap on a sp2 and is especially horrid now that they released a sp3 lol

demandarin

That reference design tablet has been circulating around for a while now. It sounds good but no where near ready to release. Best believe MS will likely be the first to release a tablet like this, in the form of Sp4 likely. But id expect the Broadwell chips to go in pro3 around Christmas time.

I still have my pro1. So whether I get a pro3 or wait for pro4 or whatever, ill be good. I'm actually more interested in the new Surface. As NVIDIA has these new chips coming out to take mobile/ARM power to a whole new level. I still have an RT, gave it to my lady. The Surface2 is still a sexy device. Like the pro3. I'm likely sticking with MS built tablets. As its giving me the best experiences yet.