What's new

Difference between model numbers with the same specifications?

optical1

I'm in the market for a surface 3 and I'm confused by the model numbers for the surface configurations that are available. I have found model numbers 7G6-00001 and 7G6-00014 that have the same 4gb ram 128gb storage configuration and 7G5-00001 and 7G5-00015 that have the same 2gb ram 64gb storage configuration. Does anyone know the difference between these models? The only thing I can think of is that one of them comes with windows 10 preinstalled. Is this the case?

Thanks!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would seem to be the case, at least on Amazon where you can select either OS the model # changes according to your selection as you indicated.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
seems the 4 gig. 4g LTE models come with window 10 -Home!
All Surface 3 (NON-Pro) units come with Windows Home unless you purchase the Business Edition from an authorized reseller which includes Pro and comes in different RAM/Storage sizes.

You can apply the Windows Pro Pack to upgrade to Pro.

jrioux

All Surface 3 (NON-Pro) units come with Windows Home unless you purchase the Business Edition from an authorized reseller which includes Pro and comes in different RAM/Storage sizes.
Yes, and the business version doesn't come with Office 365. That's part of the trade-off.

TeutonJon78

7G6-00001 ships with W8.1, 7G6-00014 ships with W10. That's the only difference -- HW should be identical.

Similar story for the other SKUs.

OP
O

optical1

You can apply the Windows Pro Pack to upgrade to Pro.

Newbie to windows 10 here. What am I missing if I get a surface with Windows 10 Home vs Pro?

OP
O

optical1

That would seem to be the case, at least on Amazon where you can select either OS the model # changes according to your selection as you indicated.

I thought I looked everywhere I could think of for this info...I guess it was hiding in plain sight. Thanks for that info!