What's new

Downloading Amazon Prime video

slothead

On my iPad I can download Amazon Prime video to watch later when I'm offline, but it seems the same is not possible with the MS SP3. I can only stream realtime while online. Is there something that I am missing?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe Amazon removed that function from their app on PCs. It used to be an option some years ago... I still have some old downloaded Prime videos. I guess they needed to provide an advantage for buying their Tablet ;)

OP
slothead

slothead

They responded to my feedback and were very apologetic. I can still download on my iPad, so I don't think the restriction has anything to do with buying their Kindle (but I could be wrong).

benjitek

...I don't think the restriction has anything to do with buying their Kindle (but I could be wrong).
No, you're correct. Downloading of Prime Video for offline viewing is a recent addition to the iOS apps, the feature was added in September.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
They responded to my feedback and were very apologetic. I can still download on my iPad, so I don't think the restriction has anything to do with buying their Kindle (but I could be wrong).
Did they say they were going to fix it or just that they were sorry they wouldn't let you do it?

benjitek

Did they say they were going to fix it or just that they were sorry they wouldn't let you do it?
According to their support site, you can download Prime Videos with:
  • Fire tablets (except Kindle Fire 1st Generation)
  • Fire phone
  • Android phones and tablets
  • iOS devices
If I had to guess, I'd say it isn't a matter of 'fixing', but more of content-provider restrictions. Those downloaded files would be a lot easier to access un-sandboxed on a PC or Mac than a tablet or smartphone OS. Possibly that's why you can only use Prime Video in a browser, and only by streaming, if you're using a Mac or a PC.

That would rule out a W10-Phone and W10-PC Prime Video universal app. Given the current and projected W10-Phone market share, I can't see Amazon dumping resources into both. If market share experiences an unanticipated shift, that could change though...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to their support site, you can download Prime Videos with:
  • Fire tablets (except Kindle Fire 1st Generation)
  • Fire phone
  • Android phones and tablets
  • iOS devices
If I had to guess, I'd say it isn't a matter of 'fixing', but more of content-provider restrictions. Those downloaded files would be a lot easier to access un-sandboxed on a PC or Mac than a tablet or smartphone OS. Possibly that's why you can only use Prime Video in a browser, and only by streaming, if you're using a Mac or a PC.

That would rule out a W10-Phone and W10-PC Prime Video universal app. Given the current and projected W10-Phone market share, I can't see Amazon dumping resources into both. If market share experiences an unanticipated shift, that could change though...
They could easily create a secure container on PCs & MACs to store downloaded content if restrictions was an issue.

benjitek

They could easily create a secure container on PCs & MACs to store downloaded content if restrictions was an issue.
Not a debate, they've apparently decided against that... at least for now. If it's something you feel strongly about, drop them a line.

Darnellmc

Not a debate, they've apparently decided against that... at least for now. If it's something you feel strongly about, drop them a line.
Usually Amazon will offer some small form of compensation for an inconvenience.

benjitek

Try asking, you might be surprised.
Is there currently a movie/TV subscription service that provides offline downloadable viewing for PC's or Macs? They all pretty much do it for individual rentals, not that I know of for the subscription model.