What's new

Finger-style Stylus?

Ryan Whipple

I've had my SP3 for a month now, and it is doing exactly what I wanted; giving me enough power to bring all the desktop-type capabilities I need on the road with me. This is my first roadtrip with it, and I deliberately left a mouse at home to see if I could get used to a touchpad/pen-only interface.

After two weeks, I've adapted to this experience except for one thing: I dislike having to take my hands off the keyboard, grab the pen, touch something small on-screen, put the pen down, and resume typing.

It has occurred to me that a small stylus that could be worn like a ring, projecting slightly past the fingertip, thus allowing precise touch without impeding typing, would be ideal. I understand the button functionality would be missing, but I don't need them for most of what I am doing.

Does such a thing exist in a form compatible with the SP3?

(Edit: not sure how I overlooked the accessories forum. Apologies for the mis-categorized post.)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, are you talking about the on screen keyboard or the type cover?

Wouldn't it be nice if one of the std keyboard options brought up A. An on screen touch pad with arrow keys. B. Full cursor control arrow key layout. C. Shifted left/right arrows switched to up/down arrows.
I know you can use the Full OSK but that has other drawbacks.

I have always wondered why the top row on the std. on screen keyboard has numbers on them with apparently no way to use, them as far as I know.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Well, yes, such a thing exists for only about US$10.:
http://www.amazon.com/iTip-Fingertip-Favorite-Touchscreen-Without/dp/B007AT5V7Q
Reviews are positive.

The Altare "Texting" gloves I ski with here in Colorado have tips on the index finger and thumb of both hands to allow capacitive touch (play tunes on my iPhone on the slopes). They work with my Surface Pro 3, as I found out this week while reading a Kindle book in a coffee shop that could not keep up with the extremely cold weather.

The product above goes one step beyond. If I ever use my SP3 while navigating the downhill, I might go for it.. :rolleyes:

touch_gloves.JPG

OP
R

Ryan Whipple

Thanks for the replies all; the top images on ctitanic's search are very close to what I have in mind, except AFAIK none of them are compatible with SP3. Ideally it would fit over the top of the fingernail so typing with the pads of my fingertips isn't intruded upon, but I can still touch the screen easily.

Sharpcolorado: I'm just not ready to put on gloves to use my SP3. That's a level of geekiness I'm just not prepared for! :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Ha! Well how about getting the gloves, removing the business end (see picture), and using a simple rubber band on your finger of choice. o_O

81e3P3SbjdL__SL1500_.jpg

OP
R

Ryan Whipple

Possibly.

What purpose do the batteries serve in relation to the touch functionality itself (ie: *not* the buttons?) If the answer is nothing, then cobbling together some sort of fingertip ring and a replacement nib might be worthwhile. Fortunately I know a few people getting into 3D printing as a personal hobby, so this might pan out!

jrhillma

Touch and hold the key to type numbers.

If you touch and hold it takes a second or so for the selection bubble to pop up. It may be just me, but I swear if I touch and immediately drag up, the bubble comes as soon as I hit the edge of the on-screen key.