What's new

Fingerprint reader: anyone using with last pass or something similar?

DocACE911

Debating between fingerprint reader or not (upgrading keyboard on SP3)

$30 FOR faster login seems crazy. I had assumed the biometrics API in Windows 10 meant universal login support (like IOS) using this for Web pages etc

Looks like not the case- need 3rd party like Last pass

Anyone try this for these use cases? Any word if edge will support this? I word love to login to my stuff as easily as my phone

Nuspieds

I am using LastPass with a Fingerprint reader; have been doing so since my original SP. When you install LastPass it will detect that you have a Fingerprint reader and ask you if you want to enable it; you can also manually activate and deactivate the feature on your LastPass Account settings.

Edge doesn't support extensions yet so until that happens you'll have to use another browser to get the benefits of LastPass.

I have to tell you, though, that after using Windows Hello with facial recognition, I now find the Fingerprint reader outdated and another device I want to ditch! ;) I'm hoping that LastPass (and other software companies) start supporting Windows Hello in their products and we get to see the updated versions starting in 2016.

I'm amazed how fast the face recognition works. Only drawback I see is if someone forces you to look at the computer, it'll unlock. :) But... I guess no different then forcing your hand on the thumb scanner.

Nuspieds

Yep, you can be forced to enter your password no matter which mechanism you're using, so that's nothing on the facial recognition.

However, how about if you're talking with somebody and you turn around in the direction of your computer to get something...and then it unlocks...revealing something you don't want revealed to that other person! ;)

But, thankfully, you can disable the automatic unlock option. :)