What's new

For those asking about fan issues.Bought my i7 512 GB 8 GB today.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting, I didn't realise the i7 was available anywhere yet, and also interesting because I wonder how that compares to the other versions?

I've got an i7 on preorder and it's still nearly 6 weeks away :*-(

ctitanic

A video does not compare to reality. The mike makes sounds more intense than what they are. I never has been bothered by the fan noise and I have tested many other Tablets where the fans are really noisy.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still a fan. Fan noise comes with needing a fan. Needing a fan comes with having a device to compute with the combined power of my 47-pound desktop and monitor, and the convenience and style of my (still fabulous) iPad.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Benchmark benchmark benchmark :) I can offer resonating oooo's and ahhhhh's as compensation.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
:) Personally I wasn't bothered by that noise as I was compensating for the amplification by the mic, and TBH it's probably still going to be WAY quieter than my aging Dell :)

I'm more interested in hearing opinions from those who have both devices. Unless there's a major issue with heat and massive throttling on the i7 I doubt I'll be changing my pre-order though!

Kif

I wouldn't expect the fan to sound any different or necessary even run more. The real question is how aggressively is the CPU is throttled. Once the CPU temp hits a certain threshold certain actions are going to take place like kick of the fan, lower the CPU frequency, disable turbo mode, etc... Interesting enough the i3 is designed for fanless implementations. It might have similar performance as the i5 and i7. o_O