What's new

Help with pico projector purchase

tombomb

Hi everyone, I just got me a surface (Yay!) and I want to get a pico projector to connect to it for presentations. I don't need anything fancy as my budget is only $300-$400. I've heard that LED projectors are better because they last longer so I've been searching around for them. Right now I have a few choices in mind.

AAXA ST200 720p LED Projector
31b75jRa75L.jpg

Asus S1 LED Projector
41ZQ1UaYRxL.jpg

Ivation Portable Projector
61JssxPgZKL._SL1500_.jpg

Does anyone have a pico projector they can suggest? I would like to keep the cost down as much as I can so anything above $400 is no go. $400 is already pushing it. Any help would be appreciated!

stlbud

What ever you do, check the specs here Projectors, Projector Reviews, LCD Projectors, Home Theater DLP Projectors at ProjectorCentral.com first. The advertised specs are almost always misleading. Just because it says 720p means the projector can accept 720p video and project it, but not necessarily at 720p often it's just 480.

Lower resolution is OK for movies and video but doesn't work well for text. You want higher resolution to make the text clear.

I have this one Brookstone Projectors: Brookstone HDMI Pocket Projector DLP projector and am happy with the image quality and brightness, but I only use it for video. Brookstone has updated it Brookstone Pocket Projector Pro with DLP® IntelliBright™ Technology—200 Lumens

It now has real 720p.

P.S. a mini-tripod makes setup a breeze.

OP
T

tombomb

Wow really? That's so misleading...but I guess it's also smart marketing I suppose. Have you had any problems with it?

nnthemperor

A bit late coming from me, but check the lumens too. Anything less than 350lm is a waste of money. I recently got the Asus P2 projector with 350lm and 1240/780 resolution . I'd say that's the borderline of usability.

stlbud

Wow really? That's so misleading...but I guess it's also smart marketing I suppose. Have you had any problems with it?
I apologize, for reasons unknown I'm not getting notifications when people post replies. I like the Brookstone. I'm using it for DVD quality videos. I knew the quality level when I bought it. I have a 720p projector I use when friends come over to watch movies. I wanted portability over image quality and got what I wanted.