What's new

Hi there!

Geneo

My (nick)name is Geneo, but you probably guessed that already.
I currently have a MBPro/retina and an iPad2, both less than 2 yrs old, but I just haven't quite been able to pull the trigger on a SP3 yet..... but I want one so bad. I've read every review, watched dozens of you tubes, etc., so I thought I'd hang around here and see what the people who actually own one have to say- the good, the bad, and the ugly. I've been to Staples and did a hands-on with the demo (they were sold out) and was amazed at how light it was. The idea that I can finally have everything on one device (both 'real' programs and iPad-like 'apps') is a major draw to me.

My two major concerns are:
* Screen glare. There seems to be a lot. I know the screen itself doesn't need 'protecting' per se, but would an anti-glare protector help?
* Overheating. Any computer heats up with a work load, and I don't mind that, but surely the MS engineers put enough fan in it to keep it from overheating, right? For instance, a good test is Minecraft- it's really tough on machines. Anybody tried MC on a SP3?

Anyway, sorry to rattle on, and "Hi!" everybody.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Geneo
If a laptop had the same glare there would be less concern because of the way it's used. Most tablets do suffer from some reflection issues but I personally don't think the glare is as bad as it might or could be. As for the heat, the same is frequently complained about on most laptops under load. In a very slim device you simply can't put a 200mm fan in it. ;)

There have been lap coolers on the market for years to try to keep people from burning their legs using a laptop on their lap. Nothing really new there.

OP
Geneo

Geneo

Thanks for the welcome.

I plan on trying an anti-glare screen protector made for SP3.
The one I tried in the store was facing some big outside windows and seemed to have the brightness turned down. It wouldn't let me brighten it up as apparently the settings were locked down. I know it's much better 'inside' than 'outside'.

I don't mind some heat, I'll probably have it propped up on my lap anyway instead of actually laying down on it. I just hope it doesn't overheat.

Last edited:
OP
Geneo

Geneo

Side Note: I bit the bullet and just now ordered my SP3 (256HD) and black type cover. I'm now an Official Surface Owner! Also ordered a Script bluetooth mouse, a 64Gig micro SD card, cable so my xbox One controller will work with it, extra AAAA battery, and a couple of other things.

God help us all.... :)

OP
Geneo

Geneo

;)
Yea, old Boy Scout habit....
Actually I got all the extra stuff at Amazon and by redeeming my credit card miles they didn't charge me anything, so I kinda went crazy and 'stocked up'. Anyway, everything should be here the first week in July and then I'll be a busy boy (well, ok, an old man) converting everything from my macbook. Fun times!