What's new

Hi

Silverfox

Hi guys,

Took me a while, but glad I have found somewhere where hopefully I can interact with fellow/aspiring surface owners.

Nice to be here btw.

Got a question,

Living in the uk, I know that the surface pro isn't available in the uk yet, and no definite release date so far, but I am serious about getting one when it becomes available.

However I would be interested to know if anyone bought a surface pro after comparing it against an ultra book such as the dell xps 13 for example. I have the sinking feeling that the pro when it is released in the uk, it will not be cheap and more expensive than ultra books which are better spec.

Because the US is considerably cheaper than the UK, I, think that the price conversation is pretty much 1 to 1, which makes TEch products so much more expensive.

For just over a thousand pounds, the dell is 13.3 screen, I7, 8gb mem, full HD display and 256GB SSD. And is 1.3KG in weight. Beats the surface pro in every category apart from being touch screen.

IF the pro comes into the uk at £1100+ including type keyboard, that is going to be a hard sell.

Oh btw, I carry a iPad, iPhone and 2 nokia 920's, with me all the time and I work away from home 90% of the time, so portability and weight is important to me.

Been working with Microsoft products for about 20 years, both as developer and database SME, so looking for a laptop replacement basically that can travel with me everywhere.

Really would appreciate comments from you guys, hoping you can eliminate my fears..

Feel free to move this, if this isn't place for questions:cool2:

machistmo

Perhaps the Helix?

The Lenovo Helix Convertible Ultrabook Laptop & Tablet PC | ThinkPad Helix | 11.6" with Windows 8 (US) might be something to consider over the Dell. But it sounds to me like what you are doing is comparing Apples ;) to Oranges. This unit is an Ultra, Ultra-Book and with its limitations, is not for everyone. The helix sounds like the unit you are after to me. Its a nice hybrid of the Dell and the Surface Pro. According to our Lenovo Rep. this is coming VERY soon to the US Market. We don't do business in the UK and so release dates there are not a topic when the representatives come in to demo the new units.

Last edited:
OP
S

Silverfox

The Lenovo Helix Convertible Ultrabook Laptop & Tablet PC | ThinkPad Helix | 11.6" with Windows 8 (US) might be something to consider over the Dell. But it sounds to me like what you are doing is comparing Apples ;) to Oranges. This unit is an Ultra, Ultra-Book and with its limitations, is not for everyone. The helix sounds like the unit you are after to me. Its a nice hybrid of the Dell and the Surface Pro. According to our Lenovo Rep. this is coming VERY soon to the US Market. We don't do business in the UK and so release dates there are not a topic when the representatives come in to demo the new units.

Thanks for the reply, I think the helix is out of my price range, if I was going to pay that amount of money, asus would be another company I would consider. As long as these prices that I have seen are correct.

Lenovo Thinkpad Helix – Core i5-3317U, 4GB, 128GB SSD. 3G/UMTS, Windows 8 Pro. NFC, Docking station included (Model N3Y4DGE) – €1799

Lenovo Thinkpad Helix – Core i5-3317U, 8GB, 180GB SSD, 3G/UMTS, Windows 8 Pro. NFC, Docking station included (Model N3Z6DGE) – €1999

Lenovo Thinkpad Helix – Core i7-3667U, 8GB, 256GB SSD. 3G/UMTS, Windows 8 Pro. NFC, Docking station included. (Model N3Z6CGE) – €2199

Concerning the use that I would be using it for, one of my friends has a Samsung series 7 slate, last production run, which is lower spec than a surface pro, and that can do what I want it for.

Looking to pay no more than £1100 for a device, anything else above that, would be a luxury. Hopefully surface pro will fit into that category, the John Lewis store in uk, does that RT at £560 including keyboard.

Jglnaz372

I read somewhere on the net that rumors are out there about possible $599 ultrabooks out for the holidays in the US. Not sure about models, size, etc. If I can find the article I will post it. But like anything, take rumors as a they are, and believe the prices when you see them!

Found the article. Not sure if this will impact tablets as far as pricing, etc.

http://www.zdnet.com/599-ultrabooks...is-too-little-too-late-7000013137/?s_cid=e539

Last edited: