High temps i7/256GB/8GB Surface Pro 3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by TestudoAubreii, Oct 22, 2014.

1. TestudoAubreii

TestudoAubreii Member

Hello,

I recently received my SP3 and have installed Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, IE and Firefox. I've opened up everything that I need to for work and ran way more than I would throughout the day just to test it.

Yesterday, it got up to 81 degrees at one point. Today, I installed a program and it shot up to 88 degrees. The average is around 48-50 degrees and of course it varies throughout the day depending on what I am doing.

I have RealTemp installed to monitor the temps and I noticed the Thermal Status, that usually reads OK, now reads LOG. I read that means that the CPU got too hot and it logged it somewhere.

Are those temps okay, or average/normal? Should I be concerned that the CPU got too hot and maybe could cause damage? Should I maybe contact Microsoft support?

Thank you in advance for your responses and help.

2. megatronium

megatronium Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Temps are fine. Enjoy your new SP3!

GreyFox7 likes this.
  3. bluegrass

bluegrass Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Welcome to the forum.

I never have worried about temp on my Surface. If I were to install some monitoring program and watched the temp, it would probably cause me to worry but since my Surface hums away at whatever I need to do, why bother. I also purchased the replacement plan from MS. Sorry I can't help you.

4. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

The firmware will regulate the temperature and as a failsafe actually shutdown the Surface to protect it from any damage. That's all you need to know. Any operational temperature is within the design specifications.

5. TestudoAubreii

TestudoAubreii Member

Thanks! I will do that, indeed.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't really worry about it. I just read things about the heat thing on some i7's, and I think that it got me a bit paranoid. I really shouldn't monitor it because it does drive me a little crazy :p.

I am going to purchase the MS replacement plan, too. That should give me a little added assurance.

Thanks for your response.

I am totally up to date on all updates. It got really hot during those installations.

I am shutting off RealTemp right now and I am not going to open it anymore :).

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

Testudo

6. Antitoon

Antitoon Member

In case this can make feel you better :p, as far as I understand the maximum operational temperature for Haswell-U processors is 100 celsius degrees, which is higher than some past generations. The firmware will generally prevent the processor from getting too close to this limit (the maximum temp I ever saw was probably 91 or 92). So don't worry, it's fine. :)

7. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

And it's not gong to disintegrate at that temp although the system will shutdown before it gets there. Like anything else there's a safety margin built in.