What's new

How Do I Copy &Paste Files?

jamesthemonkeh

I've tried right clicking a file and there is an option to copy, but the option to paste is always grey.

How do I copy and paste a file?

Also is there a way to delete large amounts of text in a file? It takes ages to hold down the backspace button.

Thanks James

Kris

Click on a file and press Ctrl+c to copy and the Ctrl+v to paste. Ctrl+a selects all text and you can delete that way. This works on both Surface pro cover and touch keyboard.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum
Initially only copy will appear, until you have selected it, then paste appears.

For the text hold the left mouse button down on the first character then move to the end to highlight what you want to remove then delete, assuming you have a type cover or a mouse.

ScottyS

If you're using a mouse, dragging a file to another folder on your drive moves it by default, copies it if you drag it to a folder on another drive (OneDrive folder excluded). Holding the Shift key down while you drag reverses what's the default. Right click drag pops up a context menu when you drag and let the mouse button go, so you can pick the action.

Selecting text to be deleted can be done by click-drag over it to highlight it, then press Delete. Using the keyboard Shift+arrow key highlights the text, Ctrl+arrow key jumps the text word by word. Shift+Ctrl+arrow key jumps it by words highlighting each.
There are other tricks too (Shift+End or Home key jumps to end or start of line highlighting it Shift+Ctrl+End or Home jumps it to start or end of document).