How many NEED or WANT a Surface Pro

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by ArnoldC, Jan 20, 2013.

?

WANT or NEED a Surface Pro

Poll closed Mar 21, 2013.
  1. Want

21 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. Need

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

Right now, having an Acer Aspire S3 running Windows 8 Enterprise allows me to do my job (though my previous stolen one with 8GB or memory and 750GB of storage, is much better than the S3), mostly Hyper-V.

My Surface RT is currently my love, I rarely use my Acer unless I'll do Hyper-V. Having said that, I think I *want* a Surface Pro. Not a need, but want.

So, do you NEED or WANT a Surface Pro?

:)
  2. Arctherus

Arctherus New Member

You know, it really appeals to me, but I really need something with more power. If it could be upgraded to 8gb of ram, and even a i7 processor, Im completely willing to pay the premium.
  3. Rick Sutliffe

Rick Sutliffe New Member

My Device:
    RT
    That's a tough question. I, too love my Surface RT and have completely replaced both my laptop and iPad with the Surface as a travel pc. I continue to rely on my networked office/home desktop pc (Win8Pro, Intel Quad4, 3.4 gHz , 16GB RAM, NAS, dual monitor, etc) for most of my day to day work, but increasingly use the Surface for an expanding number of things. I guess my thoughts are that the Surface Pro with full program compatibility will be even a better fit for me. My concerns are, battery life as well as size and weight, because one of the things I like most about the Surface RT is it's form factor and battery life. There are a bunch of unknowns regarding the Surface Pro that will be resolved as soon as I can actually see one, for example boot time. I love the instant on feature of most tablets and don't know how the Surface Pro will be in that regard. All in all, I think it will boil down to a hands on experience before I can actually decide. If the Pro is basically an RT clone with the additional capability to run everything my desktop does , then I'll probably have to have one. Anyway my wife wants my RT so it's a good fit.
  4. Russ

Russ Active Member

Arnold --

Yes, to both. As I have explained elsewhere, the Pro will become my Ladyfriend's travel computer, replacing her laptop. I get to set it up for her, . . . . and, maybe, even play with it just a little bit before I give it to her.

So, my cursor is hovering over the pre-order button. If I could just find the pre-order button.

Take care,
    Russ
  5. compnovo

compnovo Member

My Device:
    RT
    No to both for me, the RT fits my needs and wants perfectly. When the Surfaces were first announced I knew the RT was going to be my choice because it's lighter, thinner, passively cooled, comes bundled with the only Office apps I need for work, and less expensive. The longer [assumed] battery life for the RT is just icing on the cake.

Now, if I got a Pro for my birthday would I return it? No way. :big smile:
  6. brocharlieb

brocharlieb Member

+1, word processing is what I use my computer for, so I'm good with the RT. I do need to get a cable so I can plug it into a video projector occasionally. I'm really pleased with the RT.
    Think I'll be even more pleased when I get a type cover.
    If I needed a computer to do my job I'd probably buy an inexpensive laptop that used windows 8, but so far this is meeting my needs and most of my wants.
  7. bosamar

bosamar New Member

My Device:
    RT
    Neither for me. My two desktops fulfill my Win8 Pro needs.
  8. Leica

Leica New Member

Pro is too heavy for a tablet. I wish there was a Surface "Semi-Pro" with an Atom. No fan or weight and full Windows 8.
  9. compnovo

compnovo Member

My Device:
    RT
    If you want to save some money I recommend newegg.com or amazon.com for cables, they're far less spendy.
  10. DarthBurrito

DarthBurrito Active Member

It's a want for me, but don't need it. so wont get it.
  11. thix84

thix84 New Member

Arnold -

It's a want for me.. But if I can win it AGAIN on our company raffle.. It will be awesome!
  12. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

I envy you. He he. In the last Microsoft event I attended, every one in our table won. I have to do the hula hoop for a Windows Phone
    Shirt !
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express
  13. thix84

thix84 New Member

Hahaha Old School game. not bad :) Hope I can swap your MS Shirt with my Trend Micro SHIRT :)

Still it's a Want for Me.. :)
  14. bbassin

bbassin New Member

My Device:
    RT
    Can you add a "Happy with my RT" to the poll? That's my vote.
  15. J515OP

J515OP Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    That is probably where I fall too. Initially I wasn't going to get RT because of numerous other tablets. If anything I was planning on a Pro as a laptop replacement. As I read and watched though I was surprised at how capable the RT is an decided to go for it. Now I don't see the need for Pro for my particular situation. The current laptop is fine and RT is very capable. Eventually a Surface Pro may still replace the laptop but at this point it will probably be generation 2. I am happy with my RT and can use it a laptop replacement for 90% of what I need and for the rest I can RDP into a full Windows 8 machine :D
  16. dallasfreak

dallasfreak New Member

I want one too. I just couldn't wait for it so I bought the rt I wish they had a trade in .......so it looks like I will be getting the SURFACE PRO II next year.....DALLASFREAKING EVERY DAY
  17. bradhaak

bradhaak Member

The survey needs a Don't want/Don't need option.

I love my Surface RT, and use it daily.

But for heavy lifting, I bought an Acer W700 tablet with 4 GB of RAM and a 128 GB SSD. It has a significantly larger screen with the same resolution as the Surface Pro, and gives me a 9 hour battery life. It doesn't have the Wacom digitizer (which I don't care about), but does come with a great Bluetooth keyboard, a decent dock, and a very nice leather case. Outside of a few initial Wi-Fi problems (solved), it has been flawless.

If the Pro had come out at the same time as the RT, I would have bought it.
  18. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

I can't edit my poll anymore
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express
  19. Omni

Omni New Member

My Device:
    S2
    I want one.... but I'm not going to get one I don't think. I love my RT which does everything I need at the moment. I would like a bit more power behind desktop mode but for the money that's not a good enough reason to upgrade. Although the second gen is a different matter. That will most likely be my next tablet/pc.
  20. Chubnut

Chubnut Member

My Device:
    RT
    For me the RT is a companion/the bridge between my smartphone (currently a HTC 8X) and my laptop and desktops. It's perfect for what I need and want. I definitely don't want or need a laptop replacement, which to my mind is what the Pro would be. In addition it doesn't have the grunt I need/want. I run SQL Server, BI, Visual Studio etc. and some of the databases can be fairly large with tables in excess of 100 million rows. When carrying out data migrations or data analysis, I think the Pro would struggle but that may be the case with any i5
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro