What's new

I'm on the wagon

Daniel Lang

I've been saving up since August and I finally had enough to buy a 128 i5. So far, I love every thing about it, and am excited to learn more from these boards to get/make the most out of my sp3.

Quick question: is there a less expensive alternative than Microsoft complete and Microsoft assured?
(only if ifs on par with the above services. I don't want to take any risks just wondering if I can save a little money)

malberttoo

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum and a BIG congrats on getting your SP3!! If you haven't been lurking here already, you'll find this place full of knowledgeable folks and tons of info.

Regarding Complete- I would totally go for it. I have it myself (and had it on my SP1) and would absolutely consider it a "must-have" purchase for the SP3.

The only other option that I personally would use is Square Trade. They used to be a tad bit more than Complete, but now it looks like they've revised their prices.

Complete is $149, which gives you 2 years of accidental damage, and 2 years of Help Desk tech support. You can have up to 2 instances of damage (getting your SP3 replaced) and each time costs you $79.

Square Trade is $139 up front, 2 instances, and $79 each instance. With Square Trade, you have to send in your SP3 and wait for them to send it (or a refurbished one) back.

Microsoft will allow you to do a "rapid exchange" where you agree to let them put a $1000 hold on your credit card, they immediately send you a new (or refurbed) SP3, and when you receive it, you send your defective one back in the box the new one came in. Once they receive the defective one, they release the hold on your CC.

My advice is to go with Complete. The few extra dollars compared to Square Trade is well worth the extra tech support and that fact that you're dealing with Microsoft directly for an exchange.

Hope it helps!

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Daniel. I totally agree with Malberttoo's assessment of why Complete would be better. You can't go wrong with that.

VickiFL

Microsoft will allow you to do a "rapid exchange" where you agree to let them put a $1000 hold on your credit card, they immediately send you a new (or refurbed) SP3, and when you receive it, you send your defective one back in the box the new one came in. Once they receive the defective one, they release the hold on your CC.

I'm curious. What if you don't have $1,000.00 that you can let Microsoft "hold?" Couldn't you just go into a store and get a replacement with MS Complete?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious. What if you don't have $1,000.00 that you can let Microsoft "hold?" Couldn't you just go into a store and get a replacement with MS Complete?
Probably, I have read a number of cases here of people doing that but if I remember correctly perhaps a case of not being honored as well. Not sure if that's a universal policy or if the individual stores can do it at their discretion. Then you always have exceptions to every policy. My general impression is that in most cases they appear to be doing in Store swaps. If I was a manager and experienced a statistically high run on replacements and my stock was low I might decline further replacements until replenishments arrived then review again.

Everyone is always evaluated on their individual performance regardless of taking one for the team. :) Take too many for the team and you'll be injured or perhaps taken out of the game permanently.

OP
D

Daniel Lang

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum and a BIG congrats on getting your SP3!! If you haven't been lurking here already, you'll find this place full of knowledgeable folks and tons of info.

Regarding Complete- I would totally go for it. I have it myself (and had it on my SP1) and would absolutely consider it a "must-have" purchase for the SP3.

The only other option that I personally would use is Square Trade. They used to be a tad bit more than Complete, but now it looks like they've revised their prices.

Complete is $149, which gives you 2 years of accidental damage, and 2 years of Help Desk tech support. You can have up to 2 instances of damage (getting your SP3 replaced) and each time costs you $79.

Square Trade is $139 up front, 2 instances, and $79 each instance. With Square Trade, you have to send in your SP3 and wait for them to send it (or a refurbished one) back.

My advice is to go with Complete. The few extra dollars compared to Square Trade is well worth the extra tech support and that fact that you're dealing with Microsoft directly for an exchange.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the welcome and advice! I'll definitely look into Square Trade and see which one makes more sense for me. (I'll probably just keep everything Microsoft. I've been fantasizing over my SP3 for months don't want to take any risks)

malberttoo

Absolutely, if you live near a Microsoft store, then take it in there. I have seen several members on this forum though post that when they brought their defective machines in to the store, they were told to call the 800 number and do an exchange that way. So YMMV with regard to that.

If you didn't want to go the $1000 rapid exchange route, then you'd send in your defective one first, then when they received it, they'd send your replacement. The $1000 hold is just insurance money in case they send you the new one, and you try and scam them and don't send the old back.