What's new

Intel Releases Updated Generic Drivers for Intel HD4000 Graphics, Fixes Bugs

Risquitous

Just had fun with the whole "the driver being installed is not validated for this computer", even the manual installation explained on this thread didn't work for me. What fixed it for me was first downloading and installing the May driver release (15.31.9.64.3165) and then installing the new release (before hand I had microsoft's drivers installed), after that it installed fine.

Figured I'd register here and chime in the hopes that this might save someone else some time.

dream3

Guys, I ran intel update utility and besides the graphics driver, it said other things, like wireless, should be updated...Should I download those too and manually install them? Or should I let those to windows update system?

Should I also disable those from being updated?

OP
D

demandarin

Guys, I ran intel update utility and besides the graphics driver, it said other things, like wireless, should be updated...Should I download those too and manually install them? Or should I let those to windows update system?

Should I also disable those from being updated?

Wow...im surprised the update utility even detected stuff on pro. Only thing it ever detected for me before was the custom graphics driver in the pro. I'm guessing you could try out the new wireless one. If it gives u issues just roll the driver back. But more than likely the pro will auto roll it back if it didn't come from a system update. You'll have to go into windows update settings and turn off automatic download and install. Or else the system update will come back saying you need it so it can roll back that driver.

mitchellvii

Intel just released new generic drivers for 8.1. likely better performance than older ms custom one from Intel.

Here it is: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/De...cessors+with+Intel®+HD+Graphics+4000&lang=eng

If you get an error or pro say it can't validate or install, then just roll back to the may release ms driver. Then reinstall the latest driver. I had to do this to get it to install. Seems like MS getting slick..lol

I'm getting the error message. Can you link me to the May driver?

OP
D

demandarin

Hold on a second...I saw this posted..

"In case anyone is interested. I talked to a hardware engineer at a Surface event and was explicitly told that the Intel drivers from Intel's site are NOT optimized for Surface Pro hardware. He stated that many changes were made to the Microsoft driver to help with battery life and memory bus optimization. The default Intel drivers do not contain these fixes and would have to be altered to achieve the same optimization.

Basically, if you don't have a specific reason to install the Intel default version of the driver, it's probably not worth"

Now it has me thinking... lol. I wonder how true it is

OP
D

demandarin

The latest update for driver that MS installed is dated 7/31 version 10.18.10.3262 in case someone wants to compare battery life and performance compared to latest Intel generic driver I just posted above.

Just edited to show correct version installed from 8.1, I rolled back then pressed search internet for latest update and it put me on 7/31 version. That's the MS latest one for our pro. I might compare the 2 to see how true what the engineer said holds.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Yes but I like the Control Panel with the Intel Drivers because it lets me set things like Gamma which helps make blacks blacker. The stock drivers with Surface Pro don't have the Control Panel do they? No way to set Gamma.