Microsoft Going 'All Out' With Surface Launch; Orders 3 Million Units

Discussion in 'Surface Forum Site News' started by dgstorm, Aug 21, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

Microsoft may be betting a huge pot that their new Surface tablet will be a big hit. According to a recent report from IDC analyst, Bob O'Donnell, the Redmond company has supposedly ordered 3 Million units of the new tablet that is designed to take on the iPad. This ame analyst also had some comments to make regarding some of the recent rumors surrounding the tab.

First, Mr. O'Donnell does not believe the rumor that Microsoft will only sell their Surface tablet in their Microsoft Stores. He expects them to sell in the regular retail chain as well. Second, he also does not believe the current rumor that Microsoft will be selling the tablet for $200. He pointed out that selling the Surface exclusively in Microsoft Stores would make it impossible for the company to sell the 3 Million units it has ordered. Additionally, he points out that the $199.99 rumored price makes no sense, because that price would make it impossible for any of Microsoft's OEM partners to sell a competitive product. He also points out that because the Surface is a PC product, a subscription based pricing with the talbet subsidized down to the $200 price would not make sense either. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Source: BGR

1 person likes this.
  2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    This seems pretty reasonable to me. While it would be great if they offered a way to get the tablet subsidized to $199 for those not wanting an up front cost I see this being much closer to the reality of the situation.