Microsoft Surface RT Display Shoot-Out vs. the iPad at Gizmodo

Discussion in 'Surface Forum Site News' started by dgstorm, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

The folks over at Gizmodo shared an excellent article from DisplayMate comparing the displays of the new Microsoft Surface RT tablet and several version of the iPad. Their "display shootout" is very detailed and thorough. In the end, the Surface RT display actually outperforms the iPad 2 in all categories but one, and equals or exceeds the iPad 3 in all categories but two. Those two categories were pretty important subjectively however. Overall, the iPad 3 wins out, but the Surface RT really held its own and trumped the iPad in several categories like low screen reflectance. It lost out to the iPad 3 in resolution and color gamut. Here's a couple of quotes with their conclusions, but definitely give their full article a read because they also compare the Surface RT versus the Android competition as well,

Here's their conclusion regarding the iPad,
    Here's their overall conclusion,
    It's pretty exciting to see that Microsoft has put forth the effort to make the display high quality. We can't wait to get our hands on one!

Source: Gizmodo

2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    It sounds like a reasonably good display but not the best resolution. Not that I buy into the whole resolution war that is threatening to become the next MHZ/GHz war but screens should have a PPI in the low to mid 200s ("retina") to be considered top quality resolution. Going to extreme resolutions of 300+ PPI (2560x1600+ on 10") doesn't seem to be enough of a difference visually for the trade offs in lost power both processing and battery.

Microsoft is barely getting by here and insisting on specific resolutions on its devices (WP and Surface) that are really below the threshold. One of the reasons I had to ditch WP7.5 was because of the low resolution screen mandated by MS. Forget the whole Surface Pro is the premium product and will have better PPI argument, there needs to be a good quality display on a tablet regardless of its status in the product line up considering that even the "low end" Surface is a pricey and high end tablet not a Chinese knock-off. It would be nice to see them push this a little further and go with a very nice 1920x1200 as the standard giving the Surface tablets 214ppi.

By my calculations:

iPad 2 1024x768 @ 9.7" = 132ppi
    Surface RT 1366x768 @ 10.6" = 148ppi
    Nook Color/Tablet 1024x600 @ 7" = 169ppi
    Surface Pro 1920x1080 @ 10.6" = 208ppi
    Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD 1280x800 @ 7" = 216ppi
    Nook HD 1440x900 @ 7" = 243ppi
    Kindle Fire HD 1920x1200 @ 8.9" = 254ppi
    iPad 4 2048x1536 @ 9.7" = 264ppi
    Nexus 10 2560x1600 @10" = 300ppi

It seems to me there is a sweet spot there and there are number of resolutions MS could have chosen to hit it. Instead they are going weak and trying to say oh, but we have Clear Type. You know what MS, Clear Type will look even better at 215-265ppi ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

I think your calculations are spot on. Regardless, I suspect that the average user will look at the Surface display and think it looks great! It will be interesting to see what type of display comes on the Surface Pro and the Xbox Surface.