What's new

Microsoft to make saying no to Windows 10 update easier

Spider

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft is changing the wording of its 'Get Windows 10' update prompt to make cancelling the free update easier and clearer.

By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | June 28, 2016 -- 11:59 GMT (04:59 PDT)

Microsoft plans to change the Windows 10 update prompt to make it clearer and easier for Windows 7 and 8.x customers to schedule or decline the offer.

newgetwindows10prompt.jpg

The new 'Get Windows 10' update prompt, coming later this week

Microsoft officials said late on June 27 that the new update experience -- with clearer "upgrade now, schedule a time, or decline the free offer" -- will start rolling out this week. Microsoft also will revert to making clicking on the Red X at the corner of the Windows 10 update box dismiss the update, rather than initiate it, as it has done for the past several weeks.

Update: Here's the full, updated statement from Microsoft about the coming change, attributable to Executive Vice President of Windows and Devices Terry Myerson:

"We started our journey with Windows 10 with a clear goal to move people from needing Windows to choosing Windows to loving Windows. Towards this goal, this week we'll launch a new upgrade experience for millions of PCs around the world. The new experience has clearer options to upgrade now, choose a time, or decline the free offer. If the red-x is selected on this new dialog, it will dismiss the dialog box and we will notify the device again in a few days. We continue to recommend all of our customers upgrade to Windows 10 before the free upgrade offer expires on July 29. Thousands of engineers have been working on making Windows 10 the most secure version of Windows, helping to protect people from viruses, phishing, identity theft and more. We'd like our customers to upgrade and improve their experience with Windows and Microsoft."

Take note: Clicking the Red X will dismiss the box and not automatically commence the Windows 10 update (contrary to what's been happening for the past few weeks. But the dialog box isn't gone permanently; it will come back some number of unspecified times to nag users about moving to Windows 10. Still not ideal, but better.

Microsoft also will provide free tech support to those having problems with their Windows 10 update, according to a Microsoft Senior Director for Windows, including support in rolling back from Windows 10 to their previous version of Windows.

Microsoft has been criticized by many, including me, for making onerous the process of postponing and/or declining the free update to Windows 10.

It's great that Microsoft has made Windows 10 a free update for many Windows 7 and 8.X users since last July, but it's been anything but great that the company has made opting out of the update so difficult. It should be up to users, not Microsoft, if and when they take advantage of the free update. Microsoft should have made opting out a clear and easy choice from the get-go, but better late than never, I guess....

The offer to move to Windows 10 for free from Windows 7 and 8.X will end on July 29, a month from now. Microsoft officials said they'll start phasing out the "Get Windows 10" update prompt starting on July 29.

The news of the change in the Windows 10 update prompt wording comes days after Microsoft paid a disgruntled Windows 10 updater $10,000 rather than appeal the case in court.

nnthemperor

I really don't understand people who refuse to update to Windows 10. I'm sure they have their reasons, but the OS is about the best so far AFAIK.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

kundas1

I really don't understand people who refuse to update to Windows 10. I'm sure they have their reasons, but the OS is about the best so far AFAIK.

because windows 10 is plagued with driver problems and incompatibility problems... also because windows 10 is such a privacy intrusion to say the least... sorry but I'm opting out of windows 10.... for now

DavidZ

I have Win 10 on my SP4 and I'm very happy with it. I use my SP4 for travel and recreation.

But my home and business desktops have Win 7 and I don't want the upgrade now. I don't want to take the chance of something going wrong. I know that there's only a small risk of that happening, but it's just not worth taking the risk.

I generally don't upgrade my PCs OS. If it ain't broke don't fix it. When I buy a new computer, that's when I upgrade OS.

If I need to pay for it at a later date, so be it. At that point, I'll probably just buy new PCs.

Why is MS putting a deadline on the free upgrade, anyway? Obviously, they think it's in their interest for you and me to upgrade now rather then later. Well, I'm not ready to do it now.