What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

OP
G

goodintentions

I've added a little color to the menu. Make it less... sterile.

The user can now reorder the tabs. Meaning, the user can drag the tabs to where ever he wants and reorder the tabs however he wants.

I've just added a split screen option. What do you guys think of the split screen layout? What you see is still within the app.

Like I said before, I implemented the metro split screen like metro IE and all it did was confused people. This split screen to view 2 documents side by side is happening within the same view in the app. So, hopefully, people won't get confused by this. The bar in the middle is movable, and the 2 sides will adjust their sizes accordingly.

8.png
1.png
7.png

I'll probably start coding for multi-lingual support tomorrow. I'm going for 120 languages while still keeping the app below 2mb in size. Hopefully, it's possible.

Last edited:

lparsons21

Interesting approach. Overall I like it and just bought it. Not so much that I'll use it a lot, but I like to encourage more software for the 'modern UI'.

Great start, I look forward to seeing how it develops as you improve it.

OP
G

goodintentions

Interesting approach. Overall I like it and just bought it. Not so much that I'll use it a lot, but I like to encourage more software for the 'modern UI'.

Great start, I look forward to seeing how it develops as you improve it.
Thank you for the encouragement. It really means a lot to me.

I'm just so sick of crap apps put out by real honest to god software companies. If you do a search for word processor in the winstore, for example, you would find several that look almost identical to each other. And they all only have save, print, and open options. Nothing else. The people behind them are honest to goodness software companies.

These people just quickly throw together apps with the bare minimum level of features and quality.

And notice the sizes of their apps. One of them is 6mb. Another is 8mb. And we're talking about word processors that only have save, open, and print here. Nothing else. I dare say my app has a lot more features, and I have tons more on the drawing board, and it's only at 1.7mb right now. In other words, these developers don't even bother to apply the right coding practices for efficiency. They just copy and paste large quantities of code hoping it would stick.

How in the world can the winstore succeed if people keep publishing apps with the bare minimum number of features at the bare minimum level of quality written with lazy coding practices that make the app way bigger than they should be? Kinda makes me mad...

OP
G

goodintentions

To be honest, I'm quickly approaching the end of my todo list after the last update. Then I just had a wild idea just now. What if I add text to speech and speech to text features? You guys think these 2 features will help some?

I'm drawing out the code for them in my head as I type this.

OP
G

goodintentions

Speech recognition, aka speech-to-text, has been added. It will recognize English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Chinese. Just sent out an update. Should be in the store by Monday. Unfortunately, this added feature bumped my app size up to 2mb.

9.png

For the next update, I will add text-to-speech. While driving home last night, I realized how to change the computer voice to whatever age of either gender. I'll try to implement it sometime this weekend. See if it will actually work or not. Everything works great in my head... until I actually put it down into real code LOL.

Last edited: