What's new

New Surface Pro and Pen Designed to Work Seamlessly With Office and New Whiteboard App

Maura

Microsoft introduces new ink effects and surface pen along with new Whiteboard app.JPG

As part of its special Surface event in Shanghai today, Microsoft also announced a new Whiteboard on Surface app, and updated Surface Pen (which will no longer be bundled with the main Surface Pro tablet, and must be brought separately), as well as new inking capabilities.

In particular, Microsoft also focused on the ways in which the new Surface Pro and new accessories and apps have been designed to work in conjunction with Microsoft Office.

Panos Panay, corporate vice president, Microsoft Devices, talked today about how the hardware technology used in both the new Surface Pen and the new Surface Pro are designed to “transform the inking experience” when used in conjunction with Office. Among these new accessories are customisable pen tips that can be used across all Office 365 apps on all compatible devices, as well as support for tilt and shading across all Office 365 apps. The pencil texture and ink effects such as rainbow, galaxy, lava, ocean, gold, and silver will all be coming to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in June for Office Insiders Fast, and then to everyone via the June Office 365 update.

Also announced today is the new Microsoft Whiteboard on Surface app, which enables multi-device inking and simultaneous collaboration across all Surface devices. Whiteboard is currently only available in private preview on Surface Hub, but will be coming to Surface Studio and Surface Pro later in the year.

Writing about today’s event on the Office 365 blog, corporate vice president for the Office team, Kirk Koenigsbauer, said “We showed future inking innovation coming first to the Microsoft Whiteboard app on Windows 10, such as collaborative inking, geometry recognition, table conversion and automatic table shading.”

Sources: Meet the new Surface Pro - Microsoft Devices Blog

https://blogs.office.com/2017/05/23...ng-new-value-coming-with-the-new-surface-pro/

convergent

Will be interesting to see how this works with Office. A couple of use cases come to mind. First, it would be cool to be able to just create my own clipart if needed in PowerPoint. There are a lot of times when I can't find an arrow that works like I want and drawing it might be the better way to go. Also, with the markup ... if I markup with pen on my Surface Pro and send to someone that just has a regular laptop, will they be able to see everything correctly.

macmee

13.5 hours of battery life?

Such an adorable claim. I'd be shocked, *shocked* if it hits 10.

convergent

13.5 hours of battery life?

Such an adorable claim. I'd be shocked, *shocked* if it hits 10.

I think you have to take it relative to the other published values. If they SP4 had a published value of 9 and people get 5-6; then the new SP should get 9 I would think. Will have to wait for real life experience. Personally, 9 would be great as it would get me through a long plane ride. Any other place I have ready access to power if I need it.

macmee

I think you have to take it relative to the other published values. If they SP4 had a published value of 9 and people get 5-6; then the new SP should get 9 I would think. Will have to wait for real life experience. Personally, 9 would be great as it would get me through a long plane ride. Any other place I have ready access to power if I need it.

9 would be awesome.... when it comes to Microsoft and battery life I have some serious trust issues...

I might pick one up I guess, but I might also wait for Apple to announce their MBP update next month first.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fingers crossed it actually works. I've attempted to use inking in word 2016 for people to sign off various documents.. It has never once worked.

macmee

.......................... you can't pre-order yet from Canada (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

hey BTW does anyone have experience selling a SP4 on ebay? I have no idea how much an SP4 i5/256GB should go for these days.

convergent

.......................... you can't pre-order yet from Canada (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

hey BTW does anyone have experience selling a SP4 on ebay? I have no idea how much an SP4 i5/256GB should go for these days.

Over the last few days the used SP4s with those specs sold for $670-$910. The average seems to be around $750. I didn't look at the details of what was included, but did notice the $910 had a couple of keyboards, a case, etc.. A lot of variables including condition, what's included, listing strategy, and not the least of which is your feedback level at eBay. A long history of positive feedback will get you a higher price too. eBay has raised their fees quite a bit so I think you end up giving them about 10% of the take. So I'm guessing you'd net around $650 after all is said and done.

MickeyLittle

Yes eBay does get 10% and if you're not careful you'll end up spending money for shipping as well as yes you can charge the buyer for shipping but when you go to ship the $700-$1000 tablet you better insure it for that amount and that's a good bit extra.

Personally I offer free shipping, always have and always will. Since I go with a 14 day return window the return shipping is on the buyer ;)

convergent

Yes eBay does get 10% and if you're not careful you'll end up spending money for shipping as well as yes you can charge the buyer for shipping but when you go to ship the $700-$1000 tablet you better insure it for that amount and that's a good bit extra.

Personally I offer free shipping, always have and always will. Since I go with a 14 day return window the return shipping is on the buyer ;)
Yep, I tend to ship for free too. I've been burned a few times and now add a shipping fee items that are expensive to ship.