What's new

Newbie battery question

absresin

I've been reading on this forum about battery life etc.. My question is, if/when my battery fails can I use my SP3 in plugged in mode? My long range plan is to replace my desktop, when it fails, with my SP3. Battery will not be important at that point. Thanks for any info. Thanks to everyone for all the help with my other questions.

malberttoo

I've been reading on this forum about battery life etc.. My question is, if/when my battery fails can I use my SP3 in plugged in mode? My long range plan is to replace my desktop, when it fails, with my SP3. Battery will not be important at that point. Thanks for any info. Thanks to everyone for all the help with my other questions.

I'm a little confused what you're asking.

I use my SP3 all day long on battery, and then plug it in the evenings and leave it plugged in the rest of the night.

Once a month, you should let the battery discharge to at least 10%.

Grumpy2

I can not see why not. I used a laptop in plugged in mode (no battery in the laptop) for almost three weeks waiting for a new battery to arrive from hp. Hopefully the Sp3 will be no different. But by that stage you will probably be wanting to upgrade anyway.

malberttoo

Ah, Grumpy has clued me in to your question now. You're asking about years down the road when the battery will no longer hold a charge?

You will probably be on the SP6 by then and won't have to worry about it. :D

guymalloc

Most laptops will function perfectly with no battery, but plugged in for power, as long as the cmos battery is still good, that's usually what gives out in a 3 or 4 year period. I'm not sure if the surface has a cmos battery, or has all settings in firmware, but a non-removable battery could be a heat or fire hazard down the road, if it's trying to charge and is malfunctioning. But anyway that should be well down the road from now. Malberttoo is right, keep it in shape by discharging to 10% once a month, and recharging.....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My two year old Surface RT is still going strong at 94% of max capacity, should be good for years to come.
While I don't use it on a regular basis my 2004 laptop still works as does my 1986 Toshiba 1100 Plus although I bought a new battery for it about 5 years ago while I was feeling nostalgic. :)

Dblkk

I agree, the newer type of batteries in the surface pro would/should be good for 3-5 years and still remain at 80% lifespan left. That's using 8 hours 5x week. Even power users would see an easy 5 years at nothing less than even 50% battery. By the time the battery in your current SP3 would be gone and unchargable, well, I cant imagine what will be out and you will have no doubt either upgraded several times over or have broken your surface by then.

OP
A

absresin

I can not see why not. I used a laptop in plugged in mode (no battery in the laptop) for almost three weeks waiting for a new battery to arrive from hp. Hopefully the Sp3 will be no different. But by that stage you will probably be wanting to upgrade anyway.

OP
A

absresin

I agree, the newer type of batteries in the surface pro would/should be good for 3-5 years and still remain at 80% lifespan left. That's using 8 hours 5x week. Even power users would see an easy 5 years at nothing less than even 50% battery. By the time the battery in your current SP3 would be gone and unchargable, well, I cant imagine what will be out and you will have no doubt either upgraded several times over or have broken your surface by then.
thanks, I'm 77 and upgrades probably not something I'll have to worry about. Plan to use SP3 rest of my life, if battery kicks the bucket before me I just wanted to be sure SP3 would still be usable.

Dblkk

Yes surface will still work with ac adapter. Otherwise Microsoft did mention that you can send your surface pro 3 in and they will swap out battery. I think pricing was around $200. But again, I don't think anyone except maybe extreme power users who hold onto gear will outlast their surface pro's battery.