What's new

OCD arranging tiles :)

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

So, you are still on Win 8.0? Or does Stardock work on 8.1 too?

I'm on 8.1 and it works as well. You can have a different start screen background than your desktop background. The only issue I've found with it on 8.1 is that it has a feature that automatically creates a color schemes based on the wallpaper. Because MS changed the way you create colors and accents in 8.1, the two sometimes conflict and windows will occasionally (I haven't figured out why it's only sometimes) overrides the Decor8 settings.

Edit: Actually, there is a second issue. Decor8 has its own algorithm for the parallax scrolling (moving the background when you move the tiles). This algorithm is not as efficient as the MS code. When my surface is on battery and GPU horsepower is throttled, the scrolling of the background and tiles is choppy. When plugged in, it's smooth. My fix was to just turn off the parallax scrolling.

@bluegrass - you can see my start screen on the first page. The red Lambo is my desktop wallpaper and the black one is my start screen background.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

I'm on 8.1 and it works as well. You can have a different start screen background than your desktop background. The only issue I've found with it on 8.1 is that it has a feature that automatically creates a color schemes based on the wallpaper. Because MS changed the way you create colors and accents in 8.1, the two sometimes conflict and windows will occasionally (I haven't figured out why it's only sometimes) overrides the Decor8 settings.

Edit: Actually, there is a second issue. Decor8 has its own algorithm for the parallax scrolling (moving the background when you move the tiles). This algorithm is not as efficient as the MS code. When my surface is on battery and GPU horsepower is throttled, the scrolling of the background and tiles is choppy. When plugged in, it's smooth. My fix was to just turn off the parallax scrolling.

@bluegrass - you can see my start screen on the first page. The red Lambo is my desktop wallpaper and the black one is my start screen background.

Thanks. Informative.

beman39

some one has GOT TO start making apps like these for the Surface RT/2 so many people would like to do this on the RT/2 including me lol

Arizona Willie

My biggest grip is that you can't make a group of tiles and then LOCK THE DAMN THINGS so they can't be moved without unlocking.

Groups are easy enough to make but when putting tiles in them position is up to some unknown factors and you have little / no control over where each tile goes in a group.

Sometimes you can get them where you want them, but there is no guarantee they will STAY there.
Especially if you add another tile -- your whole organization flies out the window.

How hard could it be to let us LOCK tiles in position?

beman39

yea I agree, that's why I haven't spent too much time arranging my tiles as it gets more complicated as you arrange more to the end lol

godashram

i try nd try to keep mine organized, but Windows media center tosses it all off! I have it on 2 PC's at home, but not my surface pro 2, so i get an annoying empty block. Guess it's time to pay the $10 for it :)