Problems with 2.4 GHz networks

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by dcoplien, Jul 15, 2016.

  1. dcoplien

    dcoplien Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2016
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    14
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Wisoconsin
    My Device:
    SPro4
    My SP4 and SB can no longer use 2.4GHz networks. This started before todays updates so I don't think they are related. Also worked after the update last Tuesday. Checked to make sure the adapter was set to auto and not 5, rebooted router, tried release and renew of ip, looked to see if my router had done an auto update, rebooted both PC's....I am clueless. Since it's the same problem on both machines something had to change. Router is Linksys Max-Stream AC5400. Anyone have any ideas?
     
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  2. dcoplien

    dcoplien Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2016
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    14
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Wisoconsin
    My Device:
    SPro4
    Found a fix that worked for me. It was purely a guess on my part. There seem to be others where the problem is with the network card.

    1) search for Change WiFi Settings
    2) click Advanced (below list of available connections)
    3) click the 2.4 GHz connection that no longer works, click Forget
    4) reboot
    5) select the same connection, re-enter password and it now works

    Make sure you click on the connection under advanced, not WiFi.

    EDIT: All that for not. I use 2.4 when I want to use my PC's on my deck as it has better range. Went outside to work and now it's raining.
     
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  3. dcoplien

    dcoplien Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2016
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    14
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Wisoconsin
    My Device:
    SPro4
    Found the source of the problem via my routers log. I was on my deck using the 2.4 GHz connection when I installed the updates. After the reboot it had selected the 5 GHz connection and I didn't know it. Since this happened on both the SB and SP4 since I see no update for the network adaptor, the last used connection info must have become corrupted. Sure wish when one PC had problems, I hadn't gone inside for the other.
     

Share This Page