What's new

Problems with the glass and insane camera lag

unrealtrip

Yesterday I brought home an 8/256gb i5 and type keyboard. Two prominent issues instantly revealed themselves. The first is something to do with the glass itself, possibly a manufacturing defect? Basically, if you were to drag the pen from one end to the other, it would be smooth except for certain spots. In fact there are clusters of areas on the surface where they are "rough" so to speak. To the finger they feel only ever so slightly different, almost imperceptible, but if you were to slide your fingernail over them you feel the roughness. Consequently, those areas are both extremely awkward when the pen contacts them, and they are shredding the stylus tip at an alarming rate.

Second issue is with the camera. When attempting to use it from one note, at the 5.1mp setting, there is insane choppy lag almost like watching a webcam on a 1200 dialup. Dropping it down to 2mp seems to make it go away but uh yeah...

Anyway, the roughness could be resolved with a screen protector, but obviously I don't want to work around a flaw in the hardware itself.

Anyone else see these issues?

David Puddy

Sounds like tiny scratches, I found the screen to be very sensitive to scratches, my microfiber cloth that I use for every other device did not cause any scratches on them except for the surface pro 3, not sure about the camera.

OP
U

unrealtrip

Sounds like tiny scratches, I found the screen to be very sensitive to scratches, my microfiber cloth that I use for every other device did not cause any scratches on them except for the surface pro 3, not sure about the camera.

I had considered scratches too even for a fresh out of the box product, though the surface truly did appear flawless; however once I got the new one opened up I think you may be right. So basically there were hotspots where the surface was rough, smooth everywhere except for whole say 3" round sections of the screen. When I opened the new box I noticed that there was a cardboard insert between the glass of the surface and the outer box which the first one did not have.

I suspect that the lack of this allowed whatever was resting on it to press against the glass during shipping, it moved around, etc. Very odd that it went out that way, and I'm just speculating but it seems to make sense seeing as how that was a pretty big difference in the packaging. Anyway the new one is performing perfectly, love this thing. ;)

JRM52a

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread, but I am having exactly the same problem with my screen and is has been annoying the hell out of me! I sort of describe it like the difference between writing on glass and writing on cartridge paper/cardboard. The nib of my pen is also degrading and I didn't put two and two together until I read this post.

Did you exchange your product? If so, what was your experience of this? I have started the advanced exchange (I use it for university so can't really be without it now!) procedure this morning after having my Surface for just over a month.

I am slightly worried that because the flaw is so tiny, and, as you said, almost imperceptible (unless you're writing on it for 6+ hours a day!), that Microsoft will say that it does not warrant an exchange.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated!!

Maximus3D

If those areas of the screen are circular it could be from the manufacturing process of the screen itself. There is one step in the process where the display is coated and then lifted off with a vaccum sucking device, if the spayed on coating is not dry when the display panel is lifted it should leave a circular pattern behind from it which lacks coating.

I suspect this is what you are experiencing on your display. There is a thread somewhere on here where a few other users had the same issue. My recommendation is that you return it in exchange for a new device as this is most likely a manufacturing issue.

/ Magnus

Raggarkungen

I have this issue as well - the pen tip does not slide smoothly everywhere on the screen. There are some small areas where the glass is somehow "rough".