Quck launch dissapearing on desktop?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by starstreak, May 13, 2014.

1. starstreak

starstreak Member

I created a quick Launch area next to the windows flag button. Been working fine. About a week ago, I noticed its gone. I recreated it again. And again, today, it's gone. The directory is there because when I recreate it again, all the icons are still there. Anybody else having this issue?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Well-Known Member

Why use quick lunch? You can pin any program on the task bar. Just right-click on it on the Start Screen, and select pin to task bar. Simple! Also, it allows you to do Win+# keyboard shortcut to access them, where # is number from 0 to 9.
    So for example, if you have: File explorer, IE and Firefox pined.
    Win+1 will open File Explorer, Win+2 will open IE, and Win+3 will open Firefox, and you can go on up to 0, where 0 is the 10'th item.

To open another instance of a program, hold shift and click on the program. Voila! New instance!

3. amk.

amk. New Member

Why use Quick Launch? cause not all of us want to have the windows bar fully cluttered, and still have the apps we use the most 1 click away when working with the Surface as a Laptop (Mouse/Keyboard).

To answer the OP, I found the issue!!

This issue has been driving me nuts since months and I finally found why it happens. The culprit here is the Sync settings :p

You probably have another machine with the desktop settings synced using W8 / OneDrive. When one machine Syncs the Quick Launch icons, they get mapped to wherever the folder/shorcut is. If your PC A has the shortcuts under C:/Shortcuts and the Surface have them at D:/Shortcuts, once one of the machines sync its settings, the icons on the other synced machine are going to dissapear.

Solution: either create a folder with all shortcuts/folders inside and place them at the same location in both (all) machines (eg C:/Shortcuts/yourStuff ) or dont sync the desktop settings.