Skype in Metro

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by al2fast, Mar 18, 2014.

1. al2fast

al2fast New Member

Anyone have any issues with the front camera cutting in and out when using Skype in Metro? What I mean is I can see my video going out and freezing periodically and when this is happening I can see the light for my front camera going on and off. Tried re-installing metro Skype, but no change. I installed Skype on the desktop and it works flawlessly. I'm not about to swap this surface out, have a skin on it and it took me going through 3 SP2 to get one with an acceptable kickstand.

Still love the SP2, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if maybe I just have some flaky hardware or maybe need a refresh, but I don't feel like setting everything back up when I have a good workaround. I just got an email today from MS saying "Hey, let us show you how to Skype in metro and then split screen and be productive.". I was like, Hey, why don't you spend less $$ marketing to existing owners and maybe throw that $$ at R&D to get some of these bugs worked out and figure out how to roll out a firmware upgrade successfully.

2. Sihaz

Sihaz Member

I have the same problem and started a thread about it a while back. Nobody answered...

3. al2fast

al2fast New Member

Well, that sucks. I guess maybe good news, we are both experiencing it, so most likely not a hardware issue, sounds more like an issue with Metro Skype. One would think that M$ could get their own software package on their own OS on their own hardware to run. Skype ran flawless on my old iPad4!

4. grumpy

grumpy Active Member

I have only used the Metro version of Skype, and I have not noticed this problem. It is probably just another problem that only affects a subset of SP2 users.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  5. Cambo

Cambo Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    i use skype metro frequently with out issues so not sure if common problem

6. kundas1

kundas1 Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    ^^^ Yea same here...

7. TwiggyShip

TwiggyShip Member

I use Skype Metro a lot and haven't encountered the issue you have, although recently (past couple of weeks), my Skype has been crashing at random moments during video calls..

8. sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373 New Member

I have the same issue on my original Surface. This does not seem to be occurring in other apps but I will do a bigger test when I get home. Just in case has anyone had this problem in a manner that has led to the entire front camera stopping functioning? Does the light flashing issue also occur with the back camera?

9. al2fast

al2fast New Member

The only time I use the camera is with Skype and I only use the front one. I have used the rear in short spurts and have not noticed it cutting out like the front one.