What's new

Start Menu Reviver

tonyz3

They should be focusing on making the Desktop more touch friendly and blending in something OTHER than Metro. Metro sucks. NOT ONE OF MY CORE APPS will load this morning. NEWS FINANCE WEATHER - NOTHING WORKS FROM METRO. Why ? I have no idea. I have removed them using the uninstall button, which I am fairly certain does nothing, and then reinstalled them, to find their tiles in EXACTLY the same place they were before removal. METRO SUCKS, the more I use it, the more I want break something IRL. It is just plain bad.
I had this issue the other day after uninstalling revive program, than i did this.run sfc /scannow it was fairly easy, it found some issues left behind from the uninstall and after i ran it my metro apps went back to normal. System File Checker: Run sfc /scannow & Analyze its logs in Windows 7 | 8

machistmo

Machistom, I could disagree more. You are exactly proving the point about the bloggers in my opinion. This is far from Vista or New Coke. Those were actually fiascoes (which incidentally led to more following sales). Windows 8 numbers are on par With Windows 7 in a time of negative PC growth. While this is not overwhelmingly good it is better than contracting along side the market and is at least holding the line for MS which seems to be doing ok according to their recent financials.

Ok I get it you hate Metro but the funny thing is that it isn't forced on you. You can read dozens of comments here and around the web of people who stay in desktop all of the time. You need one click to get to the desktop and that is it. Windows Blue may even fix that one click. That is hardly Metro being forced down your throat. Don't want to use the Bing app? Open IE from your desktop and set your home page to Bing. Done :)

Not liking Windows 8 is one thing and if you don'y, you don't. The numbers don't show it to be a failure and any blogger who thinks it should turn the PC industry on a dime and has failed to do that because of a Start button is nit picking and not looking at reality.

You and Mitchell both realize that Windows 8.1 isn't going to be Windows 7 v2 right? It is still going to be more of the same Windows 8 stuff and even deeper integration and functions of the Windows 8 stuff even if a couple of legacy things to come back.

JP

You get that they are giving us the option to boot to the desktop right? All I read in all of this post was Windows 8 is not 7 and its not bad, no substance here. I think my points are valid - why - Windows 8.1 that's why... The overwhelming majority of people DO NOT LIKE 8 in its current form. 8.1 is proof of that.. Enough said. I get all that you are saying about 8 and all that, but I have not met anyone that was instantly IN LOVE with 8. EVER.

Even Apple gets this one, keep it simple and people will love it, but the reception Windows8 has had is abysmal, saying otherwise just makes you look foolish. I mean I get that its not all bad, but lets admit that is pretty not-good at least. I should have to do this this this and this and this and this and this to get my OS to feel 'acceptable'. As a Windows user I accept that some "this's" are needed and have accepted that over the years.

I just think a Start Menu that calls itself a MODERN interface while offering like 12 background color schemes and 9 artworks to choose from vs the infinite number of images and numerous configuration options from previous Desktop environments is laughable. I mean the file system in Metro? The limited customization and the other quirks and odd-ball things with the MODERN INTERFACE make it a fiasco. I mean I can live with it, but I want more from 1500 in hardware and 139$ in OS cost. I apologize but I am not a fan. I don't hate it entirely, but I think its a shame and a disgrace in its current form. The apps are wonky and entire OS feels, half-assed. The new metro Control Panel is not fully fleshed out - its just clunky.

Its another example of MS thinking that they can just "patch it later" but more and more there are other options.

J515OP

Super Moderator
If you think start buttons and booting to desktop are the major issues with Windows 8 and that it is definitely nit picking. The exclusion or inclusion are completely pointless. The screen you start on is almost entirely irrelevant. The other screen is only a click away in either case and the last time I checked the desktop itself doesn't do anything. You still have to launch an app or a program which is at least one more click anyway. Same with the start button Why The Windows Blue Start Button Debate Doesn?t Really Matter | Lifehacker Australia.

Personally neither of these matter to me in the least included or not so there is no right or wrong as to any changes regarding them. I also don't believe that either of these has anything to do with the direct success of or enterprise adoption of Windows 8. The average person doesn't even know that Windows 8 doesn't have a start button or doesn't start on the desktop. They don't even know it is the new Windows. The average person thinks Windows 8 is a tablet OS just like iOS and Android because that is how they have been conditioned to think about tablets. Yes this means they are confused when they see Windows 8 on a traditional PC but it only takes a little basic training to show the major differences. I think the lifehacker article above nails it.

I don't believe that either of these items has any relevance with Windows 8 sales in comparison to the economy, a preference for mobile devices, the trend that current PCs are good enough to not warrant replacement and that the traditional OEMs are having a difficult time making hardware that excites the average person. I would be shocked if simply making these two changes alters the course of PC sales and Windows sales. The next excuse for those dissatisfied will be that MS should have done this from the beginning, it is too little too late etc. There is simply no way any of the changes in Windows 8.1 is going to change he market. PC industry forces are beyond two little nit picks. Two things are going to eventually solidify Windows 8, time and the adoption of Windows tablet devices (the exact market MS is trying to open up) which will give people exposure to Windows 8 and eventually lead them to purchases of Windows 8 PCs (although at the much lower rate PC sales are now exhibiting) for home where they have the same OS on their tablet and their home PC.

mitchellvii

If you think start buttons and booting to desktop are the major issues with Windows 8 and that it is definitely nit picking. The exclusion or inclusion are completely pointless. The screen you start on is almost entirely irrelevant. The other screen is only a click away in either case and the last time I checked the desktop itself doesn't do anything. You still have to launch an app or a program which is at least one more click anyway. Same with the start button Why The Windows Blue Start Button Debate Doesn?t Really Matter | Lifehacker Australia.

Personally neither of these matter to me in the least included or not so there is no right or wrong as to any changes regarding them. I also don't believe that either of these has anything to do with the direct success of or enterprise adoption of Windows 8. The average person doesn't even know that Windows 8 doesn't have a start button or doesn't start on the desktop. They don't even know it is the new Windows. The average person thinks Windows 8 is a tablet OS just like iOS and Android because that is how they have been conditioned to think about tablets. Yes this means they are confused when they see Windows 8 on a traditional PC but it only takes a little basic training to show the major differences. I think the lifehacker article above nails it.

I don't believe that either of these items has any relevance with Windows 8 sales in comparison to the economy, a preference for mobile devices, the trend that current PCs are good enough to not warrant replacement and that the traditional OEMs are having a difficult time making hardware that excites the average person. I would be shocked if simply making these two changes alters the course of PC sales and Windows sales. The next excuse for those dissatisfied will be that MS should have done this from the beginning, it is too little too late etc. There is simply no way any of the changes in Windows 8.1 is going to change he market. PC industry forces are beyond two little nit picks. Two things are going to eventually solidify Windows 8, time and the adoption of Windows tablet devices (the exact market MS is trying to open up) which will give people exposure to Windows 8 and eventually lead them to purchases of Windows 8 PCs (although at the much lower rate PC sales are now exhibiting) for home where they have the same OS on their tablet and their home PC.

Once again you are simply making things up and stating them as facts. Nobody cares about the Start Button and New Users can't tell the difference between Desktop and Modern UI? Seriously, WHERE do you get this stuff? You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

There are 2 kinds of people who can't tell the difference in Windows, complete idiots and 5 year olds who haven't used a computer in the past 10 years. Once again, if MS spending millions revamping Windows 8.1 and eating some serious humble pie isn't intended to improve sales, WHY THE HELL ARE THEY DOING IT?

tonyz3

I think they are doing it to make adjustments like every other os does. and if that include s a start button than so be it a lot of people still won't care. I am one of them. I am interested in moving forward with the touch interface as I am not sitting on my couch right now with my desktop in my lap. :wink: this is only my opinion . During the day I get a lot done using my desktop each day. i work from home so I sit at it most every day when I am not on the road visiting a client. Do some things need refinement...of course it does but I am not going to worry about it. This thread started out to announce a friggin' start button and turned into a whine fest. Come on:wink:. Other than trying to start trouble in every post why do we have to do this every time. It is getting very old. Let s try to start one thread to cry your eyes out about anything and let's keep the other ones for productive stuff. To hide behind the excuse that any of you have the right to whine is becoming a cop out. I may need to revert back to my old avatar. :LOL:

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Once again you are simply making things up and stating them as facts. Nobody cares about the Start Button and New Users can't tell the difference between Desktop and Modern UI? Seriously, WHERE do you get this stuff? You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

There are 2 kinds of people who can't tell the difference in Windows, complete idiots and 5 year olds who haven't used a computer in the past 10 years. Once again, if MS spending millions revamping Windows 8.1 and eating some serious humble pie isn't intended to improve sales, WHY THE HELL ARE THEY DOING IT?

Once again you missed the point. Here is how conversations with regular non-techies go.

Them: Cool phone is that the new iPhone?
Me: No its the HTC One X.
Them: Oh so its a Droid?
Me: Well yes it is an Android phone.
Them: Oh is it the Samsung Galaxy.

Them: Is that the iPad?
Me: No its the Surface RT.
Them: Oh what's that. Is it like an iPad?
Me: Sort of. It is made by Microsoft and runs Windows 8.
Them: Oh cool (clearly still confused).

It goes on and on like that. I have had conversations with people who don't understand Windows 8 goes on both regular pcs and tablets. They think it is something special just for tablets and phones like Android and iOS. There are plenty of videos showing first exposure of Windows 8 to people who don't know anything about it. Heck MS even has a commercial about it. People are clearly confused about what Windows 8 is. I am not making that up. Since they don't even know what they are looking at they are not complaining about the start button and booting to the start screen instead of the desktop.

[video=youtube;G3xnq8d_Tdw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G3xnq8d_Tdw[/video]

[video=youtube;jv971t0elyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv971t0elyM[/video]

Do any of these people look like they have a clue about Windows 8 let alone any idea about where the start button went or even that it is missing?

Last edited:

Tom T

This is only a thought, but there is often a VERY vocal minority that has excessive influence over things. Now I like the Start button, and so I installed one along with the myriad others utilities and applications on my Win8 machine. Apparently though Microsoft will not get a break until every computer running Windows 8 has one. Fine, I say include it in Blue and get the these critics off your back. As far as comparing to Vista I wouldn't know, I rolled back so fast I couldn't be sure Vista ever really existed. I'm definately sticking with Win8.

mitchellvii

Sadly this "vocal minority" happens to include pretty much every tech blogger on the planet.

Sucks when the experts everyone looks to for advice hate your stuff.

tonyz3

Most of those tech bloggers were the same ones hanging out with their iphones their mommies got them, living at home

Last edited: