What's new

Surface 2/RT users your Windows 10 update is coming - Sorta

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft to deliver subset of Windows 10 features to Windows RT users in September

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...10-features-to-windows-rt-users-in-september/

Microsoft's promised update to Windows RT that will add a subset of Windows 10 features looks to be coming in August, and so far doesn't seem very robust.

What about apps for Windows RT once this update is applied? Will existing Windows RT users be able to run new and updated Universal Windows apps that are starting to arrive in the Windows 10 Store?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the official answer is no -- despite the fact that the unified Windows 10 Store will include apps built for ARM-based Windows Phones and as-yet-unannounced small ARM-based tablets running Windows 10 Mobile. Universal Windows apps are meant to run on any Microsoft platform with a Windows 10 core, and so that leaves out Windows RT.​

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently it's goīng to be called Windows 8.1 RT Update 3.

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-wi...-will-improve-the-start-menu-and-lock-screen/

startmenu-600x450.jpg

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to WinBeta, the new-style smaller Start menu from Windows 10 - which combines the compact form factor of the Windows 7 version with Microsoft's familiar Live Tiles - will be included in Windows 8.1 RT Update 3 when it rolls out in a couple of months' time. However, it won't be the same version of the Start menu that's included in the final Windows 10 launch build - instead, it's said that Microsoft is backporting the Direct UI Start menu, which it originally deployed in early Windows 10 Technical Previews.

As the report explains:

...the reason they are backporting that version of the Start Menu instead of the newer menu is because the DirectUI Start Menu was built on Windows 8.1 code and is not using any new API’s, whereas the Start Menu found on the Windows 10 RTM is built using XAML and is utilizing a number of new Windows 10 specific API’s.

As on Windows 10, users will be able to switch between the full Start screen and smaller Start menu as desired in RT Update 3, but many features in the new OS won't be available on RT at all, such as Continuum and Universal Apps support, as these require Windows 10 APIs and code.

In fact, it seems that the only major new feature in Windows 8.1 RT Update 3 will be the smaller Start menu, although there may be other smaller additions and tweaks as part of the update. It's also worth noting that there won't be any support for running apps in windowed mode on the Desktop in Update 3 either - all Windows Store apps will reportedly continue to run in full-screen mode on RT.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...nclude-smaller-start-menu---but-not-much-else

macster

Well I got it, yaaay :(. It works, but I'm on my way to a SP3 or 4. This will be a good back up PwrPoint presentations machine when I'm teaching. Anyway, my theme color changed and the machine seems a little more snappy. And the handwriting experience is a little better. I dunno really know, but ...

M~

kristalsoldier

Well I got it, yaaay :(. It works, but I'm on my way to a SP3 or 4. This will be a good back up PwrPoint presentations machine when I'm teaching. Anyway, my theme color changed and the machine seems a little more snappy. And the handwriting experience is a little better. I dunno really know, but ...

M~

Handwriting? On a Surface 2 RT?