Surface Pro 2 stuck on bios - could someone send me a recovery usb image pls?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Help' started by June, May 31, 2014.

1. June

June New Member

Hi there,

I have bought a Surface Pro 2 tablet and for an unknown reason, I can not boot to Windows 8 anymore, I am stuck on bios...

So I tried different thing, I disabled the "secure boot" option so that I can reinstall Windows 8 pro by creating a USB bootable key.

I can boot on the key and the installation is going just fine but at the end, when it is time to restart, I remove the USB key and then I am stuck again on the bios menu... the OS will never load. :crazy:

I have just contacted Microsoft support and they told me that I wasn't supposed to install this version of Windows 8, it is not the correct version for the tablet...

Would it be possible for you guys to create a recovery usb image directly from the OS and to send it to me so that I can try with it???

Thanks a lot for your answers.

2. daniielrp

daniielrp Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    That is sort of true, the SP2 should be using Windows 8.1 not 8.

3. June

June New Member

Thanks, I have tried the 8.1 pro version but the result is the same unfortunately…

4. Raggarkungen

Raggarkungen New Member

I am also looking for a recovery image. Since the serial/license information in Surface Pro 2 is stored in the BIOS it is really unmotivated for Microsoft not to provide a download of a Surface recovery image. Fantastic product, but the support from Microsoft could be improved.

If anyone could assist with an image, it would be highly appreciated. Otherwise I guess I will just go into a store that has a demo unit of Surface Pro and plug in a USB memory and create the recovery image myself.

5. June

June New Member

Totally agree with the previous post... Microsoft should provide this recovery image in such case.

Good idea to make this USB key directly in a store! I will have a look Monday but not sure they have a Surface Pro there, but if they do, I will upload the recovery image and send you the link.

6. Raggarkungen

Raggarkungen New Member

I used a standard windows 8.1 installation image. Everything works perfect.

7. June

June New Member

Was it a clean new installation? I have tried 3 different versions of Windows 8.1 Pro but always stuck on bios after the installation...

8. Raggarkungen

Raggarkungen New Member

Yes, I used a total clean windows 8.1 Pro installation. No problem at all - Windows Update automatically found all the specific packages and drivers for Surface Pro 2.

Edit: During the installation I used a serial / product key from the internet. After the complete installation windows informed me something like that I needed to active my Windows license. To retrieve the correct serial / product key from BIOS/UEFI I used the tool Read Write Everything (download from http://rweverything.com and then chose ACPI table and then the MSDM tab).

Edit2: It is totally ridiculous that Microsoft is not providing an updated Surface Pro 2 image for download from their website.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014