What's new

Surface Pro 3 and Photoshop

Digital artist

I was interested in using the surface pro for digital painting and possibly some zbrush work. I was hoping that someone could give me some advice about how the surface handles graphics applications. I was looking for a device that would help with the planning stages.

Thanks

kozak79

Photoshop CC 2014 is optimized for the SP3. Zbrush works great on the SP3. I've done some sculpting and it's great. You'll need a toolbar that has common hotkeys for Zbrush to use it without a keyboard. I use Toolbar Creator (Google it).

megatronium

The SP3 handles all of Adobe CC 2014 extrememly well. Photoshop is especially optimized for it as kozak79 mentioned, it handles the pen perfectly and it's UI is scaled for the high-res screen of the surface. The other applications have no UI scaling as of now. I have great vision so it doesn't bother me and I've been doing quite a bit of editing in premiere while my desktop handles the majority of rendering. Maya, Rhino 3D, zBrush and Manga Studio run great.

Len J

It takes some practice, but I do photoshop with the pen on the SP3 and the SP3 driving an HD monitor. The SP3 is used the same way I'd use a Wacom tablet. With the flexible hinge, it's easy to get it at the right angle.

Ymmv

Len

jimaiwr

does someone know how to disable that pen hover cursor !?!?!? it's driving me MAD cause it lags behind the pen tip so much ( I know this is only a visual effect - the pen detection doesn't actually lag behind, as soon as you hit the screen that's where your ink goes)

It's SO annoying cause it forces me to wait until the cursor catches up before I hit the screen.

I'm trying to find the cursor icon dir and replace it with a transparent icon but apparently it's a dll?
any help would be great!

milvo

If your thinking of using your SP3 with most drawing/sculpting apps be warned: You CANT change the buttons on the stylus and there is no "middle mouse" click. This means navigating most Autodesk 3d apps is out of the question :/
Photoshop panning is harder too without it.

It RUNS the app great tho, hopefully we get a fix for this oversight soon!

HarnessTech

Personally, I think the Photoshop 200% scaling feature is too much and should be something more like 150%. Better yet, give us a choice. 200% scaling makes things far too large on the screen and leaves you with little drawing space, while the default 100% scaling makes all the icons way too small. 150% would be just right. :)