Surface Pro 3 and the Dock

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by Fredwalks, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Fredwalks

Fredwalks New Member

Hi There,

I've recently purchased the dock for surface pro 3. Brilliant !
    Several ports, a lock,. I definitively like it..

Except that, ..., for specifically licenced softwares ( that I would assume MAC/... based ) that I own ( from purchase ) these does not recognize my Surface as the same computer. This is also applicable to iTunes by the way.

I've checked, it works fine, off dock or on the external power supply.

It would probably require some attention

2. malberttoo

malberttoo Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    That's really odd. I haven't heard of that, but maybe someone else here has.

3. surfdock

surfdock Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Hi Fredwalks, can you be a little more specific about the error messages you're receiving?

Have you tried uninstalling the applications, attaching Surface to the dock, then re-installing using your license keys while still attached to the dock?

If the software is balking at additional device capabilities exposed through the dock like the Gig Ethernet and preventing you from using full functionality of the app, then that goes against all the guidance on MSDN about how apps should operate. Devices like Surface Pro 3 are designed to be used with many external peripherals so it would be best to raise the issue with the app vendors directly and like you said it definitely requires some attention.

Many folks can use ITunes just fine, so it sounds like there is a problem with your install. Try uninstalling and grabbing the very latest and let us know the result.

Cheers,
    Dan

4. kozak79

kozak79 Active Member

I think what he's saying is that he bought software that when licensed used his WiFi MAC address for authentications. When he plugs the dock in with Ethernet plugged in, the MAC address for Ethernet is different and MAC authentication fails. Am I right?

5. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I am not aware, (any more) of any industry standard software dependent on the MAC address of a computer. iTunes shouldn't be a problem so long as you haven't authorized it on too many systems without DE-authorizing it.

6. bugmenot1234

bugmenot1234 Member