What's new

Surface rt and videos on ABC, CBS NBC etc.

djc45

Hi,
I have noticed that I can pick up a Surface rt for a pretty good price now, which got me thinking.

I could do with a small machine to use in the bedroom for watching some on demand TV, connected to the lcd via hdmi, and am wondering if the rt might be suitable. My questions are:

1) Could someone with a rt confirm for me if the rt is able to play on demand videos from ABC, CBS and NBC websites through the browser, or do they require a full version of windows?

2)Can the rt use a mini displayport to hdmi adapter, like the pro, to attach to the tv?

Thanks
Duncan

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

kundas1

also you can connect the RT to your LCD using the MS wireless adapter and not worry about cords or cables

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
also you can connect the RT to your LCD using the MS wireless adapter and not worry about cords or cables
As far as I know the Surface RT does not do Miracast and would be unable to beam the screen to the Wireless Adapter.

There was much discussion on it and supposedly all that was needed was a WDDM 1.3 driver. However, If MS was able to make one or make one that worked at an acceptable level I think they would have released it. My speculation is that there was some underlying uncorrectable implementation limitation that stopped it.

jrioux

Given their current price and quality, I think the RT would be hard to beat for this. I have an RT. I have watched web-based TV shows and it works fine. I have also connected my RT to my TV to watch videos. You need a micro HDMI to HDMI cable or adapter to physically connect to the TV.

The Surface 2 is faster and has higher resolution than the original RT. You might want to consider the 2 if the price is right.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given their current price and quality, I think the RT would be hard to beat for this. I have an RT. I have watched web-based TV shows and it works fine. I have also connected my RT to my TV to watch videos. You need a micro HDMI to HDMI cable or adapter to physically connect to the TV.

The Surface 2 is faster and has higher resolution than the original RT. You might want to consider the 2 if the price is right.
Yep, and the Surface 2 does support Miracast if that matters to you.