What's new

Survey from Microsoft Consumer Panel

coolowl

Today I received an email purporting to be from Microsoft asking me to take a survey about the Surface 4. I'm so suspicious of things anymore and reluctant to click on the link. How in the world are we to trust this? How do I know if it's real? Did the rest of you get the email?

The return address appears to be [email protected] so it looks legit and if so I want to give them my opinions. What do you think?

leeshor

No such mail here. Since you can't reply to that address there was obviously a link in the message. The trick is not the return address, it's where the link takes you. Can you post the link? Anyone can fake a return address.

OP
C

coolowl

I tried to include part of the link in my reply here but it kept reverting to the real link. I don't want to include it in case it really is fake. But there were words in it like microsoft and devices.

I'm going to delete the email and not do the survey. If Microsoft really is trying to ask my opinions...anybody's opinions...they should know better than to include links in their emails.

leeshor

From what little info you provided, I wouldn't trust it. If you hover over the link it should give you the full path and it's the last part if it that's important.

mmcnulty

I have also received a somewhat suspicious looking email which was sent from [email protected]

Below is a screenshot of the email I received today (Saturday 4/30/2016). This site is one of the few places I have posted regarding anything surface related, so I wouldnt be shocked if that ended up being a common denominator.

Tj9294j.png

ScottyS

I have also received a somewhat suspicious looking email which was sent from [email protected]

Below is a screenshot of the email I received today (Saturday 4/30/2016). This site is one of the few places I have posted regarding anything surface related, so I wouldnt be shocked if that ended up being a common denominator.

Tj9294j.png
The key point is what is the actual url when you hover the mouse cursor over the link "Click her to ..." and what is the real return address on the email's properties, not the from field.

BTW, are you in Finland?