The phablet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by oion, Sep 11, 2013.

1. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    In another thread, I wondered what the heck a "mini-tablet" would be useful for besides a pure consumption device (which is useless to me)....

So I did a search for mini-tablets with active digitizers and came across..... a phone: Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The idea that you can write on the screen with a proper pen (metal-tipped) or pencil is fascinating, along with the little bluetooth "phone" companion device for actual calls since you wouldn't want to mush the giant phablet against your face. From my point of view, this size is certainly nice for media consumption and games, but the ability to properly hand-write notes along with the fact that it's actually a phone lends a lot more functionality. Interesting.

Sony's huge Xperia Z Ultra comes with a small companion: SBH52 Bluetooth Handset

[video=youtube;mcdMfGQNAKM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcdMfGQNAKM[/video]

Now, I commented in that other thread that Surface RT wouldn't make sense in a mini-tablet because by definition, Windows RT comes with Office 2013 RT--useless in that form factor. But I didn't even think of the phablet angle: If there was a Surface hardware version of a phablet like Sony's but with Windows Phone 8 OS that could pair with other Surfaces, that would be nifty. Well, though the Sony XZU apparently has a very custom display.

Color me intrigued.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Spaniard

Spaniard Active Member

This is not the future:
    [​IMG]

This is the future. Imagine a 5.2" phone that folds/unfolds into a 7" tablet (both with golden ratio):
    [video=youtube;oaXepnrgfJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaXepnrgfJo[/video]

3. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    Different companies have been working on flexible display technology for well over a decade now. I'll see it when I believe it. There are always awesome prototypes around, but making that a mass-produced consumer-grade reality is something else entirely.

Now, in terms of innovation priorities in mobile computing, I really wish someone would have a breakthrough in batteries. Lithium ion was around the '80s, li-ion polymer was 1990's. We're due. :)

Edit: I forgot to add: Flexible screens are great for the greater real estate needed for data representation, but you can't write on them (yet). That's the biggest draw for the Sony Xperia, at least to me.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013