What's new

Trying to create a partition on 64Gb USB...

CrippsCorner

I was unaware that you cannot use FAT32 with a 64Gb USB... so I thought I'd split the drive into two separate partitions. However when going into the Windows programme to do so, the USB drive isn't shown (although it shows up fine in File Explorer)

It's currently NTFS... any idea how I can do this? I also tried an old copy of Partition Magic I had on my desktop PC; same deal :mad:

I'm sure I've done this before through CMD but I'm a little rusty! If anyone has a link to a guide or fancies running through it for me that'd be massively appreciated.

leeshor

Try shrinking the existing partition then creating a new one out of the new space then reformat.

Darker Shadow

Honestly I've personally quit using Windows for that stuff. I usually create a live USB of Ubuntu (whatever version you want... I'd say it's on 15 by now) and search for GParted. Simple, never need to install it, can partition USBs and format them FAT32. It was the only way I could format one of my memory cards that way to make it bootable.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fat32Format, probably any recent partition manager... but see edit
It's a stupid little utility that requires a partition and drive letter assigned, but it works.

What you intend to do with it afterwards may matter though... especially if you want it to be bootable

Edit: removed other mentions... they might put extra bits on the disk that you just don't need. Rufus and EaseUS Partition Master definitely did... I didn't like it and didn't see a way to create disks without the extra stuff they put on the it for you.

Last edited: