What's new

What say you?

OP
O

olimjj

There was a question? ;) The topic title doesn't count since it's so poorly formulated that it says nothing. Yes, it certainly does appear you're attempting to validate your own position and there wasn't a genuine question: "I for one am convinced" followed by "This procedure has worked for me and I have the time to implement it. Assurance, real or imagined, is a good thing."

Your convenient initial comments on my writing and format skills smells- no reaks of- ad hominem , as are many of your other comments.

Thoughts relating to 2 different posts, and not meant to be fused and taken out of context to support your contention.

So there is no convincing you otherwise; this thread doesn't seem it was open to real discussion anyway, as Jeff answered your "question" and if I didn't add anything to the thread, you certainly haven't either. My comment per this thread wasn't directed towards your opinion on the relation between autoupdate and errors but rather towards the choice itself, especially given the small number of users who experience problems with autoupdate overall. To suggest a personal choice in update method has to do with some people's patch problems is like suggesting that driving on the freeway has to do with drivers having accidents."

On the contrary, I was anticipating convincing reasons and arguments to change my mind. I am perfectly capable of doing so. I did not stubbornly insist or suggest that I was locked in that position.

Yes some people should never drive on freeways.:D

There are lots of factors involved in any given patch failing for a certain subset of users, and whether they exercise the personal choice to do it isn't necessarily going to avoid patch problems: Let's say that everyone disabled autoupdate and went to manual (besides the obvious point that a good percent of users would simply forget to patch regularly anyway thus keeping security holes open), but that only means the subset of problem users is merely delaying their problems because Microsoft is not getting immediate feedback about said errors to fix it."

Yes, there are benefits to each choice of update option to the user and to Microsoft. The choice is personal depending on your needs, goals and experiences and for some it best remain auto for the reasons you give and for which I agree. I was only seeking a correlation. if any, to some or even many of the problems/failures of the small subset of users who experienced this. To reiterate, my present feeling is yes, but I am perfectly willing to accept valid arguments to the contrary. And if the answer is yes I am not purporting that everyone change to manual, but that they become more aware of some of the possibilities and reexamine their choices.

You simply choose to go with manual updating just as I do (some patch this year ended up breaking a bunch of games including one I play, so good thing I didn't patch immediately, ha), because "assurance, real or imagined, is a good thing."

I guess the reasons for your utilization of manual update supports some reasons I gave for my own use.;)

Last edited:

godson594

Your convenient initial comments on my writing and format skills smells- no reaks of- ad hominem , as are many of your other comments.

Thoughts relating to 2 different posts, and not meant to be fused and taken out of context to support your contention.

On the contrary, I was anticipating convincing reasons and arguments to change my mind. I am perfectly capable of doing so. I did not stubbornly insist or suggest that I was locked in that position.

Yes some people should never drive on freeways.:D

Yes, there are benefits to each choice of update option to the user and to Microsoft. The choice is personal depending on your needs, goals and experiences and for some it best remain auto for the reasons you give and for which I agree. I was only seeking a correlation. if any, to some or even many of the problems/failures of the small subset of users who experienced this. To reiterate, my present feeling is yes, but I am perfectly willing to accept valid arguments to the contrary. And if the answer is yes I am not purporting that everyone change to manual, but that they become more aware of some of the possibilities and reexamine their choices.

I guess the reasons for your utilization of manual update supports some reasons I gave for my own use.;)

@olimjj - This won't add much to the discussion I just wanted to let you know my brain reads your responses in a 70s robot voice.

I update manually, and the December update botched (no bricking, but some odd things in addition to the 'fail' msg).

My reason for manual isn't to do with evaluating patches beforehand (except to weed a few out, such as old graphics drivers). I do it manually simply because I just like having control.

For a portable device like the surface I suppose there is a benefit to manual along the lines you suggest. If I'm using my phone's hotspot, I certainly don't want windows downloading updates on the sly.

OP
O

olimjj

I update manually, and the December update botched (no bricking, but some odd things in addition to the 'fail' msg).

My reason for manual isn't to do with evaluating patches beforehand (except to weed a few out, such as old graphics drivers). I do it manually simply because I just like having control.

For a portable device like the surface I suppose there is a benefit to manual along the lines you suggest. If I'm using my phone's hotspot, I certainly don't want windows downloading updates on the sly.

Your reasoning sounds plausible to me.

Last edited:

bluegrass

I have mine set for automatic but I like to check for updates every morning and if it finds some, I update them right then. I just read about the December firmware update giving some error messages to some people. I looked at my update history and noticed that the December 10th firmware update on mine says failed. When I search for new updates it doesn't show the December firmware as being needed. Anyone else have a failed December firmware update. Not sure how to get the firmware update installed now or whether it is a false error that it the update failed.

OP
O

olimjj

I have mine set for automatic but I like to check for updates every morning and if it finds some, I update them right then. I just read about the December firmware update giving some error messages to some people. I looked at my update history and noticed that the December 10th firmware update on mine says failed. When I search for new updates it doesn't show the December firmware as being needed. Anyone else have a failed December firmware update. Not sure how to get the firmware update installed now or whether it is a false error that it the update failed.

This might be of use, although I have not personally needed to use it

How to fix Surface Pro 2 firmware update failure ? Pureinfotech

In addition, the next minor/major update will be on January 14. You can keep your settings to auto in the meantime, if you feel comfortable with that. However you might want to change it to manual on the day before.

If your device is still functioning, I'd recommend leaving it be. Some are reporting some nasty issues; best to just wait for mid January I think.