What's new

Wifi module broken - what to do ?

mpg000

Looks like wlan module on my i5 SP3 died. First it was not working with device manager error 12 - can't find available resources. Every few restarts it was working for a moment. Now it does not show up anymore in device manager.

I did:
  • Two-Button Shutdown
  • W10 restore
  • downgrade to clean W8
same problem everywhere - so it looks like hardware problem, and warranty already expired
works fine with usb plugged wifi dongle

I have checked ifixit - and it looks like wlan is integrated on main mother board - so it does not look good to me
I'll be grateful for any ideas how to approach this problem...

OP
M

mpg000

update:
Error 12 screen attached - when card is visible in device manager - now it's back wit this error after installation of clean W10 from image.

Nothing else is connected to sp3 - only power supply. No usb devices, no microsd card.
error12.png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like you have isolated the problem sufficiently. Your intermittent problem may have been some circuit contact barely connecting, which now has completely broken due to heat or fatigue or flexing of the computer. Sometimes flexing or warping the entire computer ever so gently with your hands can overcome an issue like this, but may lead to further problems with other components.

It is good that an external WiFi adapter still works.