What's new

Wiindows 8.x and Things I Miss

TPadden

Classic Shell mouse or trackpad pointer moved to/ off the bottom of a running Metro App, or Metro Start screen, shows an opaque, usable, standard windows taskbar w/ date etc.

Last edited:

malberttoo

Since I've started using the SP3 I have really done my best to use the Metro/Modern environment, as much as my given task will allow.

I completely agree with the OP, as much as I do appreciate the touch-ability of the Modern apps, and do enjoy being in that environment, I resent having to reach out to the screen and swipe in, just to see what time it is. While I don't necessarily "hate" the full-screen app, I do not like that it feels like you're cut off from your operating system. With the Desktop environment, you can be fully engrossed in something (like I am now, typing this) but a microsecond flick of the eyes is all it takes to see what time it is, to see any notifications in the system tray, anything requiring my attention in the taskbar, etc. With Modern, I feel like I've lost the ability to have several things going on at once. Even though I know that's not quite true, I just don't see how I could ever be happy with only being able to interact comfortably with one single thing at a time.

Start8 is great as Windows 7 Start Menu replacement, for the Win8 Desktop. But I don't think that's the issue that the OP is referring to.

grumpy

But, but... With Metro, you can, like, run, like, two apps at once... I mean, c'mon dude, that is so groovy... I have never been able to do that before Metro came along.

OP
Bandito

Bandito

LOL, grumpy!

Even on the iPad you have the time and other key info displayed at the top of the screen in most apps. I'm not sure what led Microsoft to think that having no information available would be better. I guess that they wanted you to be able to totally focus on one app at a time so as to make it as simple as possible.

I know a lot of people who really do focus on one app at a time when using Windows, closing the first app before launching a second one and so on, as they find the Windows metaphor too overwhelming and management of all of the Windows to be too complex, especially if there's only one display. To each his/her own.

Perhaps we'll get an option to have a status bar/task bar displayed or not in Windows 9.