What's new

battery question

bosamar

It's quite possible that many people will run their Pro while the charger is connected, but this also can be damaging to these types of batteries, so I'm not sure doing this will significantly increase the lifespan of the battery.
I disagree. Sure, people who leave their tablet plugged in most/all the time may see a decrease (my opinion) but if you practice proper battery regimen you will not always have the charger attached and run the battery down once per month before recharging.

souldier

the back of the surface pro box says "Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by an authorized service provider"

So it seems like they could do it. How much would that cost? No idea. Probably expensive. By that time, you'd probably rather spend your money on the next surface pro. Who wants to pay to replace an old battery when there is better, faster, thinner device with longer battery life?

souldier

By the way, I try to leave my surface pro plugged in at 100% whenever I am at an outlet. As far as I know, the tablet stops charging once it reaches 100% and just runs on AC power, and therefore is no longer going through battery recharge cycles and therefore extends the overall life of the battery rather than always charging and discharging

Tom T

I disagree. Sure, people who leave their tablet plugged in most/all the time may see a decrease (my opinion) but if you practice proper battery regimen you will not always have the charger attached and run the battery down once per month before recharging.

I may have not been real clear here, what I was saying is that if everything is equal regarding usage, the battery life of the Pro will be half that of the RT.
As far as keeping it plugged in the greatest harm you can do, besides running the battery down all the way before charging (and this is not a wise thing to do as a conditioning measure either, it is sometimes recommended for calibration) is to constantly top off the battery charge. Unfortunately leaving the device plugged in constantly will end up doing exactly this. The fact of the matter is worrying too much about your battery can reduce the usefullness of your device.
I've come to the realization that I will likely replace my tablet before the battery becomes an issue anyway, and I probably never should have made the original post in the first place. It was just speculation.

OP
R

Rushino

the back of the surface pro box says "Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by an authorized service provider"

So it seems like they could do it. How much would that cost? No idea. Probably expensive. By that time, you'd probably rather spend your money on the next surface pro. Who wants to pay to replace an old battery when there is better, faster, thinner device with longer battery life?

They can do it and they said small fee but never said what was the fee actuallty. Also i would like to add that for a device i bought total 1200 $ i do not plan to change it after a year or two. That would be insane. I know some ppl will but its not everyone. Myself i wouldnt do it. Sure i could sell it but i will be losing money.

J515OP

Super Moderator
They can do it and they said small fee but never said what was the fee actuallty. Also i would like to add that for a device i bought total 1200 $ i do not plan to change it after a year or two. That would be insane. I know some ppl will but its not everyone. Myself i wouldnt do it. Sure i could sell it but i will be losing money.

I think the point is that the battery is expected to last more than a "year or two." If you are concerned about replacing the battery inside of that period get the extended warranty and then you don't have to think about the repair costs.

More than likely most people will upgrade the device before the battery gives out. Based on laptop batteries from a few years ago I would expect the battery life to be a similar 2-3 years before a significant reduction in capacity. The trend is that people are replacing laptops and tablets at a faster rate than in the past for upgrade purposes rather than failure.

Here is a good laptop battery FAQ. Basically just use the thing without running it all the way empty on a regular basis and you will be fine without thinking about it. Laptop Battery Batteries FAQs help