What's new

Charging SP4 on an airplane

convergent

Why is variable output something that makes you leery? It just requires some due dilligence to make sure you select the correct output. And as I say, I've no experience with that battery, but buy something high quality from a respected brand and there shouldn't be any worries. I've had an Anker battery with variable DC output for years, performs like an absolute champ, even after being taken camping etc.

Variable power isn't the thing that worried me... its the misinformation. My point was the Amazon description of that battery said the SP4 required 15V, but at least the one I have requires 12V.

I know to always double check the power brick information panel to be sure; and also always, always, always check the polarity on the tip. That is what killed a motherboard many years ago. Of all the accessories we use, batteries are the most dangerous and also provide the biggest opportunity to do damage to your gear. Read an re-read about 10 times before inserting things into their respective holes!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Variable power isn't the thing that worried me... its the misinformation. My point was the Amazon description of that battery said the SP4 required 15V, but at least the one I have requires 12V.

I don't see that stated anywhere. I do see this though

"This battery comes equipped with 12V and 15V DC output to charge your Surface Pro 1, 2, 3, 4, and Surface Book tablet"

Doesn't sound like misinformation to me. 12v for surface pro 1, 2, 3, 4, and 15v for sufrace book.

convergent

I don't see that stated anywhere. I do see this though

"This battery comes equipped with 12V and 15V DC output to charge your Surface Pro 1, 2, 3, 4, and Surface Book tablet"

Doesn't sound like misinformation to me. 12v for surface pro 1, 2, 3, 4, and 15v for sufrace book.

The way you ordered the sentence is much clearer than the way they did. Being new to the Surface world and not knowing that they have different voltages, I interpreted it as 12V for other stuff and 15V for the Surface line. And after concluding that, I was about to rule out other batteries that were only 12V.

While the description didn't say what I interpreted from it, if I came to this conclusion then others probably will too. And then don't get me started on the different tips and tip polarity. The whole reason I brought it up was to say "be careful" when getting a 3rd party battery designed to work with hundreds of different devices. Making a mistake can result in fried stuff.