What's new

Crackly Audio

irogos

I have crackling audio in HBOGO even after doing all the updates. I thought it was slow internet causing it because I was traveling but when I got back home i tested it and it is still crackly. Everything else works fine with no crackling (i.e. netflix, crackle, youtube)

timfg

I downloaded a film from the movies app earlier to try that out - and the audio is fine on that too. So, suggests that there is some commonality to audio delivery in BBC iPlayer and HBOGO that the S3 doesn't handle well...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have crackling audio in HBOGO even after doing all the updates. I thought it was slow internet causing it because I was traveling but when I got back home i tested it and it is still crackly. Everything else works fine with no crackling (i.e. netflix, crackle, youtube)
haha crackle is not crackly :)

maybe some problems are codec related...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
After doing a Refresh a week or so ago... and all updates installed... I now have crackly audio for the first time.

It seems like reinstalling the Audio drivers fixed it.

Last edited:

Turbo4AWD

After doing a Refresh a week or so ago... and all updates installed... I now have crackly audio for the first time.

It seems like reinstalling the Audio drivers fixed it.
Yeah, I noticed that I had a popup in the lower right corner of the screen that said "Intel hd audio" or something, every time I pushed volume up or down. I uninstalled and reinstalled the audio driver and the popup is gone.... and my sound is no longer crackling on everything I play.

Turbo4AWD

So I got a notification today that there were updates to install. One of them was a firmware update from 07/22/2015. This resulted in bringing back the "Intel audio" notification in the lower right again. No crackling sound though. I will update my post in a few days if the issue returns. Now to try charging without putting the device to sleep...... and not get the "plugged in, not charging" message...

Update: I just got the "..until fully charged.." message when I plugged it in so that is a good sign....

Turbo4AWD

Just got another firmware update this morning 07/23/15 and installed it. Will have to wait until I get home to plug my Surface 3 in and test to see if the issue returns or not. I'm also worried this may bring back the crackling sound, but I will have to try it out for a week or so and see.

According to the M$ website this update is for:

• Surface UEFI update (v1.50410.78.0) adds features to display and add a system asset tag and support for the Surface Cover during PXE boot.
  • HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.15.4248) improves graphics performance and stability on Windows 10.

So we will see how long it lasts without crackling/charging issues