What's new

Details you'll need to do a Clean Install of a Surface Pro 8 from a Media Creation Tool - Bootable USB - This may also apply to other Surface models

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Media Creation Tool creates an image ISO or USB that does not include the drivers necessary for the Touchscreen or Type Cover to work so you cannot move forward from the initial setup screen upon boot. You're stuck unless you have a USB keyboard at minimum. you might also need a USB HUB and USB mouse.

Here's how to fix that.
You'll need to download the Surface Drivers (MSI file)
If it's not a Surface Pro 8 then you also may need the Surface Recovery Image for that model.
I have sused out which drivers you need for the Pro 8 and how to assemble it all.

This is the list of Folders you need from the Drivers Download.
intelthcbase
ManagementEngine
SurfaceBattery
SurfaceCoverClick
SurfaceEthernetAdapter
SurfaceHidMini
SurfaceHotPlug
surfaceintegrationdriver
SurfaceSar
SurfaceSerialHub
surfacetimealarmacpifilter
surfacetypecoverv7fprude
SurfaceUcmUcsiHidClient
surfacevirtualfunctionenum
tbtslimhostcontroller
TglSerial
WiFi08

copy boot.wim from the Media Creation Tool ... USB:Sources folder to C:\Temp\Image
In my example, I use this folder structure
C:\Temp\Image
C:\Temp\Offline
C:\Temp\Drivers

Download the Surface Pro 8 Driver MSI and Save in C:\Temp
Extract the downloaded Driver MSI to C:\Temp\Drivers
msiexec /a "C:\Temp\SurfacePro8_Win11_22000_22.011.9739.0.msi" /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\drivers
make a backup copy if you like of the full driver list.
DELETE ALL THE FOLDERS NOT ON THE LIST UNDER C:\Temp\Drivers\SurfaceUpdate

The only folders under C:\Temp\Drivers\surfaceupdate should be the ones from the list above.
The whole list didn't work ... I assume we exceeded a resource limit.

Mount the Boot.wim Note there are 2 indexes and you need to update both
Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:C:\temp\image\boot.wim /Index:1 /MountDir:C:\temp\offline

Add Drivers
Dism /Image:C:\temp\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\temp\drivers\SurfaceUpdate /recurse

Save/Commit this and unmount image 1
Dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:C:\temp\offline /commit

Mount index 2 of the Boot.wim
Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:C:\temp\image\boot.wim /Index:2 /MountDir:C:\temp\offline

Add Drivers ... again
Dism /Image:C:\temp\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\temp\drivers\SurfaceUpdate /recurse

Save/Commit and unmount
Dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:C:\temp\offline /commit

Copy C:\Temp\Image\Boot.wim to USB: sources

When you Boot the USB both Touchscreen and Type Cover Keyboard & Trackpad should work.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This list of driver folders was determined from a combination of this document and extracting the drivers from the Boot.wim of the Surface Recovery Image.

From the document, it appears other Surfaces may need a different list of drivers ... which through some hunting you can identify the right folders to include out of the Driver download. in some cases several of the extracted driver names may be included in one folder and the folder names may be different than the driver names or not.

once you've mounted the Boot.wim from the recovery image you can extract the drivers necessary using ...

Dism /Image:C:\temp\RCoffline /Export-Driver /Destination:C:\temp\RCdrivers\SurfaceUpdate

assuming folder structure for the RecovryImage
C:\Temp\RCImage
C:\Temp\RCOffline
C:\Temp\RCDrivers\Surfaceupdate

It takes a bit of work to get all the pieces together but I managed it all in a few hours starting without any of this information.

jct134

I am trying to get the drivers needed injected into my boot.wim for WDS to allow Surface Pro 8 touchscreen and or keyboard to work during the deployment process..

No matter what drivers I add (I followed what was in this post, plus I tried to export drivers from boot.wim from recovery files and included what was missing)

No matter, when WDS starts to get things ready when imaging Surface Pro 8, no touch screen & no keyboard...

Anything I may have over looked?

Thanks in advance for any info

J

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am trying to get the drivers needed injected into my boot.wim for WDS to allow Surface Pro 8 touchscreen and or keyboard to work during the deployment process..

No matter what drivers I add (I followed what was in this post, plus I tried to export drivers from boot.wim from recovery files and included what was missing)

No matter, when WDS starts to get things ready when imaging Surface Pro 8, no touch screen & no keyboard...

Anything I may have over looked?

Thanks in advance for any info

J
not familiar with WDS at all. one thing that comes to mind though is the number of images in the WDS boot.wim. there were 2 in the Windows boot.wim and they both must be updated or it won't work. IDK why, somebody (insider) told me that... I tried it and it worked. That said WDS may be a wholly other animal.

of course, the simplest solution of all is just to use a USB Keyboard & Mouse.

Last edited:

jct134

not familiar with WDS at all. one thing that comes to mind though is the number of images in the WDS boot.wim. there were 2 in the Windows boot.wim and they both must be updated or it won't work. IDK why, somebody (insider) told me that... I tried it and it worked. That said WDS may be a wholly other animal.
I did add all drivers to both Index 1 and Index 2, just seems strange that it still does not work..

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does using a USB keyboard work? I'd guess they left something out of WDS that is needed for the typecover and touchscreen.

I assume this not working is during the setup/creation of your deployment image. there's a different one for the actual end point device.

you might see if Dan can help ... Downgrade Surface Laptop Studio or Surface Pro 8 to Windows 10

You are about to enter the underground cave network ... there is no map ... all sorts of ogres and goblins await. best of luck.

Last edited:

jct134

Y
Does using a USB keyboard work? I'd guess they left something out of WDS that is needed for the typecover and touchscreen.
You are about to enter the underground cave network ... there is no map ... all sorts of ogres and goblins await. best of luck.
Yeah, we can plug in USB into the network dongle that we use.. just not the most convenient when we have a dozen WDS servers to deploy at different locations.. just seems strange that exporting the boot.wim from WDS, then mounting each index one at a time, and adding the drivers to each index etc.. then removing and adding the new boot.wim into WDS as the default boot.wim I would think whatever drivers would be needed would be there...
I even mounted the boot.wim, and exported the drivers and it seems all the drivers are there... so not sure why a Microsoft product "Windows Deployment Services" would NOT include all drivers needed for Microsoft devices like the Surfaces!! but yet other devices, Dell, HP, etc all seem to have no issue with the default drivers built into basic boot.wim to be able to use keyboard, tough pad, etc..

Thanks to all for suggestions, and thanks in advance to anyone that might read this and have figured it out.. please share

J