What's new

do you think the covers are rip-offs?

Russ

Every decision is a guess to some degree is it not? It is impossible to ever have complete information prior to making a decision, and even then, you are guessing how to interpret that information.

Mitchell --

Next you're gonna tell me that the sun rises in the East. I have run a few companies, and with a little luck, have done modestly well. You never, ever, have enough information, but, at some point, somebody has to make a decision, knowing full well that all the Monday Morning Quarterbacks will criticize that decision and engage in asymptotic could'a, would'a, should'a. It's easy to be an expert as long as you are not the one who has to make the decisions.

Be well,
Russ

mitchellvii

No, of course it isn't perfect. It won't be perfect until they release another version that isn't the Surface version #x. When they come out with the "MS MUI Tab" then everybody will just want their perfect old Surface back because well, because it was perfect of course ;)

Yes a lower price certainly would have helped sell more units and yes including the keyboard in the price would also have been awesome. As an individual I would have loved it if that was the case. As a corporation though I understand that they need to look at different things. In this case MS chose to go high end instead of aiming for volume. I don't know if that was the correct move or not but there are many good reasons people have put out for doing it that make sense. They didn't want to undercut partners. They wanted a premium reference device. They didn't have the manufacturing pipeline to get economies of scale a regular hardware maker can achieve, etc. Just because it would have been nice to have a lower price or an included keyboard doesn't mean that it is the only way MS should have played it. As it turns out they are in the ball park and at a reasonable price (thus the comparison above). They aren't a 7" Chinese no name tablet but they aren't as expensive as a Lenovo Helix either.

I think MS could have done a few things to improve sales. 1) If Windows 8 had been released enough ahead of the Surface so that Win 8 was out there and people had a chance to get to know it. Preview builds aren't enough for that and releasing Win 8 and the Surface at the same time probably didn't help sales any. 2) They could have done even more to get apps in the store ahead of time. Regular people seem to care about the total app count not the apps that count. 3) They could have had much better initial advertising. Maybe they were going for the wow followed by the function but it could have been more balanced. 4) They could have had more supply in the pipeline and a more stream lined roll out. I guess that just comes from lacking hardware roll out experience. 5) They could have done a better job on some of the core apps and drivers. Updates are fine but there a a few legitimate issues that MS should have taken care of (and they still are working on some) like mail, music and pictures apps and wifi and sleep issues. I don't know that this would have helped sales but there would be other things to talk about it these had all worked better out of the box.

JP

But that's the entire point of my criticism of MS. Everything you have mentioned here was an unforced error by MS and for a company of that size and experience is inexcusable. Your list is textbook "what not to do" when rolling out a new product.

My ire at MS is not that they turned out a bad product but that they turned out a good product that could have been great if not for their own stupid choices some of which you have outlined. It's like being angry at your team for making a stupid play that loses the Superbowl. Yeah you should be happy they made it to the Superbowl, but they could have had it all!

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Mitchell --

Next you're gonna tell me that the sun rises in the East. I have run a few companies, and with a little luck, have done modestly well. You never, ever, have enough information, but, at some point, somebody has to make a decision, knowing full well that all the Monday Morning Quarterbacks will criticize that decision and engage in asymptotic could'a, would'a, should'a. It's easy to be an expert as long as you are not the one who has to make the decisions.

Be well,
Russ

Russ, you need to work on your attention span. I was responding to the idea that my conclusion MS would have sold more units with a free keyboard was just a guess and therefore invalid.

P.S., The Sun doesn't actually rise at all, we only perceive it to rise because we are in fact moving :).

Last edited:

Ruffles

I don't think the covers are a ripoff but what I can't believe is that there are not more options. Why the heck do we only have the type cover in black? Why don't we have more "normal" color touch covers? The question that I'd love to have answered - which even after several emails and tweets MS refuses to do so - is the accessory spine spec open to third parties? In the Reddit AMA, Panos talked about the extra connectors on the keyboard port that the Pro has. Where are the new accessories?? Give us some rumors etc. Tempt us with new ways to spend money on our devices!

When I had an iPad, I was always looking at new cases and covers, and mounts and accessories etc. It made it always seem new. I miss that about my surface.

Omni

I think they are a little expensive, and the fact they look so cool in all those colours makes me want them all!

DOS

This is all Microsoft's fault (OMG, I'm starting to sound like Mitch), because all of the commercials showed the Surface with the Keyboard. Snap this, Snap that, etc. Everyone thought the keyboard was included... So BIG SUPRISE! People think it's a rip-off when it's not included.

And yes, I admit it. I was too busy watching the blonde in the pink mini-skirt doing the cartwheel at the end of the commercial, to read the 9 point font at the bottom of the screen that said "Keyboard not included".

mitchellvii

This is all Microsoft's fault (OMG, I'm starting to sound like Mitch), because all of the commercials showed the Surface with the Keyboard. Snap this, Snap that, etc. Everyone thought the keyboard was included... So BIG SUPRISE! People think it's a rip-off when it's not included.

And yes, I admit it. I was too busy watching the blonde in the pink mini-skirt doing the cartwheel at the end of the commercial, to read the 9 point font at the bottom of the screen that said "Keyboard not included".

The Force is strong with you young Padiwan...

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8