What's new

Dual Link DVI-D Monitor(s)

From what I'm reading, it looks like the SP3 should support dual link DVI-D monitors. I have one arriving in about a week, and I need an adapter. Is there a recommended one to use? I assume a standard mini displayport - > DVI adapter will not work. Unfortunately, this monitor has ONLY the DVI-D input, so that is my only option.

Wiidesire

From what I'm reading, it looks like the SP3 should support dual link DVI-D monitors. I have one arriving in about a week, and I need an adapter. Is there a recommended one to use? I assume a standard mini displayport - > DVI adapter will not work. Unfortunately, this monitor has ONLY the DVI-D input, so that is my only option.
Do you need duallink for 120hz or 1440p? If not a simple Mini Displayport -> DVI-D Singlelink will be enough. (Singlelink is compatible with duallink)

If you need 1440p or 1080p 120/144hz and your monitor only supports DVI it gets more complicated. Then you need a Mini Displayport -> Displayport Adapter and then an ACTIVE Displayport -> DVI Duallink Adapter.
You can buy both of those adapters in one package, but it's expensive, because you need an active adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-...1&sr=8-2&keywords=displayport+to+duallink+dvi

OP
S

savaytse66

Do you need duallink for 120hz or 1440p? If not a simple Mini Displayport -> DVI-D Singlelink will be enough. (Singlelink is compatible with duallink)

If you need 1440p or 1080p 120/144hz and your monitor only supports DVI it gets more complicated. Then you need a Mini Displayport -> Displayport Adapter and then an ACTIVE Displayport -> DVI Duallink Adapter.
You can buy both of those adapters in one package, but it's expensive, because you need an active adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-007B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Adapter/dp/B00856WJH8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407321511&sr=8-2&keywords=displayport to duallink dvi
I don't NEED the higher resolution or refresh rate. As long as I can use the monitor (see below for my usage scenario), I'm content, even if it is at a lower resolution. So with a regular mDP-> DVI adapter, what resolution/refresh rate should I expect to get? I'd prefer to run higher resolution with a lower refresh rate, if there needs to be a trade-off.

I am looking at using this: http://goo.gl/dPZEMr from Monoprice. It does not support dual-link, but it looks like 1080p/60 is doable.

Just wondering why you wouldn't buy a DP capable monitor ...
Well, there was a good deal on the monitor, and it was in hindsight that I saw the only input is DVI-D. The long-term usage is for connection to a desktop at a remote office, so it's not a big deal, but I will be using it when I visit that office.

ragnevi

I have ordered Apple Dual DVI cause with the single DVI I didn't get any image at all and a mini display port to display port didn't work at all.

ragnevi

Didn't work. I am f*cking tired of this...

Now I have a suggestion that I should use mini displayport to displayport and then dual-DVI...

B

B'midbar

Didn't work. I am f*cking tired of this...

Now I have a suggestion that I should use mini displayport to displayport and then dual-DVI...

No, look at this - HDMI vs. DisplayPort vs. DVI vs. VGA. IF you get yourself a miniDP 1.2 ("active") to DVI-D adapter and then a regular DVI-D cable you can run up to 2560x1600. The important part is the adapter be DP 1.2, not 1.1. They're easily enough found on eBay for about $6, another $9-12 for the cable. I myself have done this for an AOC Q2963PM monitor and am running 2560x1080.

Last edited by a moderator: