What's new

Energy saving recommendations / Enabling power plans

leflic

Hi! I have a brand new SP4 i5 and read a lot about activating power plans and modify settings, but als the posts are pretty old. Does it still make sense to create a max battery plan? And which is the way to go? Also, how can I activate the Intel control panel? I'm on the newest drivers via Windows Update. Thank you!

Philtastic

These days, unless you absolutely need 7+ hours of battery use, I find that most tweaks are not worth the hassle or possible complications. The only thing that I'd do is, if you don't use OneDrive that often, disable the OneDrive app by going into its settings and stopping it from loading with Windows: I found that would add about a half-hour of battery life. The other big drain on battery is using a web browser without an ad-blocking plugin. Other than those, your battery life will depend on what programs you install and have running in the background. With light use, I tend to get about 6.0-7.5 hours.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never saw a need to fiddle about with registry settings etc in the past, and don't see any need now or in the future. My SP4 runs just great on battery. But then I'm a very conservative user, I'm not like my partner who has a "need" to keep around 50 tabs open in chrome at any one time.

As to intel control panel, no idea 'm afraid, never needed more than what windows already offers.