What's new

Installing W10 - Can you reclaiming full SSD space later ?

Hi all,

Giving some serious thought to installing W10 preview on my SP3 on a new partition that I'd create using the steps provided in the SP3 thread.

Just a question with regards to partitioning the SSD to make a partition for W10, when I'm finished playing around with the W10 preview, can I then re-claim the space I reserved for the W10 partition easily ? For example, If I threw, say, a 50GB partition at W10 and then decided to remove it, can I reclaim the 50GB back to the main C:\ partition where 8.1 resides on my SP3 ?

Cheers

hannytyo

hi... I think you can reclaim that space you used for W10 using W8.1 standard Disk Management tool, with one condition that the space (W10) is adjacent to the C: drive. Otherwise you need to use 3rd party tool.

one way you can try, since I assume you already had the new partition is to delete it and try if you have option to combining the unused space to C: drive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Simple answer, Yes you can.

The scenario: Remove space from your C: Win8.1 Partition to create a Win10 partition.
This will shrink the partition and leave free space at the upper end for a new partition. When you're finished you can delete the Win10 partition then expand the original partition up to reclaim the space.

You would require a 3rd party partition manager IF you wanted to delete the C: Win8.1 partition and expand the Win10 partition because the Windows tool will only work expanding the partition up not down.

OP

Great info, thanks so much. Can't see any reason not to give W10 a go.. unless I wait it out until there is a build with continuum.