What's new

Is Microsoft's Surface Tablet a Mistake?

mrasmussen

I don't have time right now to read the article but if I understand your summary, they are saying that MS building their own tablet will dampen the enthusiasm for others to build RT tablets? Or, if not dampen enthusiasm, MS having it's own tablet will strain the relationship with other vendors? If so, I disagree, MS needed to create a tablet that could compete. This is a very important time for MS to retain their computing dominance and they need to get the post-pc era correct now. If you want it done right, do it yourself....

J515OP

Super Moderator
Go ahead PC makers, put linux and Chrome OS on your PCs and drop Windows. Nobody is forcing you to work with MS. If you can't build a better device and compete on hardware as a hardware company with one extra vendor supplying very limited hardware options (two whole versions of tablets!) good luck. Apple is going to eat your lunch in that case anyway. Oh and I look forward to reading about you next to Palm and RIM in the business obituaries.

Last edited:

Sin

Most PC makers have consistently pre-installed trash on the machines they sell to the point that they run terrible. I format and re-install the OS on every machine that I help friends and family with, but many people don't realize how much potential capability of their brand new hardware is being wasted on the junk that comes pre-installed. I just hear the reaction of various PC makers as whining. The Surface is not unbeatable, so step up and beat it. Microsoft didn't sell at a loss, and there are additional features that would great to have, so do it. I see the Surface as Microsoft's way of setting the bar and hopefully pushing the hardware OEMs to raise their game.

gpstrucker

I don't trust much that comes from PC Magazine in the first place, but this article is really kind of funny. They're going to go to Google, who is also selling their own tablets (Nexus)? Seriously. this smacks of yet another Apple fan looking to damage Surface sales because they are afraid of what it will do to their precious iPad sales.

I own an iPad as well as a few Android tablets, including a Nexus 7, and the Surface is far and away the best tablet I own. None of the others can directly print to my printer, but my Surface can. That alone makes it the best tablet I own, hands down.

The iProducts people are scared because they know MS has beaten them at their own game and articles like this prove it.

Just for the record, I am a very long time Linux user (since around 1995) and not an MS fanboy at all. Windows 8 and the Surface have made me pay attention to MS and admit they are going the right way, finally.

Last edited:

Codevine

I own an iPad as well as a few Android tablets, including a Nexus 7, and the Surface is far and away the best tablet I own. None of the others can directly print to my printer, but my Surface can. That alone makes it the best tablet I own, hands down.

The iProducts people are scared because they know MS has beaten them at their own game and articles like this prove it.
I wouldn't generalize it that much. What product is the best for a individual is just based on their own preferences, there is no best product.

gpstrucker

I wouldn't generalize it that much. What product is the best for a individual is just based on their own preferences, there is no best product.
You're quite right of course. I am "speaking" strictly from my own experience and what I personally need/want from a tablet device. From my perspective, all of the negative reviews and articles do seem to be coming primarily from iPad fans and I can only surmise that they appear to be worried about the Surface and it's impact in iPad sales. Perhaps not, and it's just MS hating. I just call 'em like I see 'em, and have been known to be wrong on occasion LOL.

Codevine

I guess most of them are also afraid of something new or different. It's the same with Windows 8, people just want it to be exactly like Windows 7, but it's not, so they rage and cry about the start button. And then again, some people tend to kind of worship certain companies or even products, flaming on all the other ones, just saying theirs is the best for anyone. However, I'm happy to see people like Chris Pirillo, who uses a lot of apple products, and whenever a topic like "Android vs iOS" arises, he's all like... well, let's just quote him:

Better is relative. There is no overarching winner or leader. It all depends on what you're measuring and what you value. A strategy's strength is often also it's weakness in comparison to an opposite system.

Was a bit off topic, still waiting for my Surface Pro, though. :D