What's new

manage wireless roaming

CharlieH

I have multiple access points in my home. How do I get my surface 4 to connect to the nearest/strongest access point? Normally there's an adapter setting that regulates a threshold on when to change to a stronger access point....typically called 'roaming aggressiveness'. I can't find anything like that in the settings for my Marvell Avastar adapter.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Changed the title as the "How To" Prefix is reserved for tutorials.

As for the your question - the Marvell doesn't have much around Management. Does your APs all use the same SSID Name?

OP
C

CharlieH

Changed the title as the "How To" Prefix is reserved for tutorials.

As for the your question - the Marvell doesn't have much around Management. Does your APs all use the same SSID Name?

I've configured my network both ways...First I used different SSID names for the APs. The wireless adapter would connect with one and stay connected with a faint signal even as I moved nearer to an AP with a stronger signal. Then I tried having all APs use the same SSID name. I also made sure that all APs used the same security, WPA2. I got the same result. The Surface 4 wireless stays connected to an AP as long as there's some signal.

Does the Marvell adapter in the Surface 4 have any logic to trigger switching APs? I can't find a setting that manages that. I think that's a real problem. Seems like most other adapters have a setting where the roaming tolerance can be managed. My only solution is to use different SSID names and manually change to the AP with the strongest signal as I move around the house.

RELAIS VERT

[QUOTE = "CharlieH, poste: 165548, membre: 23689"] J'ai plusieurs points d'accès chez moi. Comment puis-je connecter ma surface 4 au point d'accès le plus proche / le plus fort? Normalement, il existe un paramètre d'adaptateur qui règle un seuil pour passer à un point d'accès plus puissant .... généralement appelé «agressivité itinérante». Je ne trouve rien de tel dans les paramètres de mon adaptateur Marvell Avastar. [/ QUOTE]
Hello, i test USB Key wifi : Linksys AE6000 with "roaming sensitivity" option